Friday, October 19, 2018

Clinging


The fall leaves are clinging to my giant oaks. …not wanting to turn loose, fall to the ground and be scooped into black sacks and dumped into the garbage bins Down Below.  I too, am clinging to my Mighty Oak. …my God Who placed a passion for the lost in my soul before the foundation of the world.  

Last Saturday my church sent students from a nearby Christian college to do some manual work around my home and property.  I walked them through the history of this hallowed place.  I told them that II Timothy 2:2 has been one of my life verses. One of the fellows immediately spoke up: “That’s mine too.” …and a new relationship with a young disciple began.  He is a 25-year-old Marine vet from a family of non-believers,  has immersed his mind in scripture through the Navigators, a scripture memory disciplehip mission that was started by a Navy man on a ship in the South Pacific during World War II.   My Ted immersed himself in scripture through that same powerful discipleship method many years ago. The scriptures grabbed his heart, he turned from his intended life work, listened to the Spirit of God and during his entire life,  never veered to the left or to the right, but stayed focused on teaching scripture to those who were reliable.

Yesterday some “reliable” women of the next two generations met in my living room to begin a study of Isaiah.  Oh, my goodness!  What an adventure this is going to be!  The women He sends are all aware of  reality.  All stay current with daily news; all flee to scripture for guidance in navigating through these perilous times.  All are focused on discipleship.

Today I will hear from my dearest friends who are scattered from Africa to Indonesia and assigned points in between. Some are in their 60’s and 70's when many people retire. Not my friends. …and not me either.  I spent one morning this week with a new Christian man in his 60’s.  The thrill never diminishes while watching a scripture like II Corinthians 5:21 take root. 

My granddaughter #2 is almost a brain surgeon. Currently finishing her training in Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia , very soon she will be assigned to her place of residency.  We are fervently praying that she will be back in California.  L. has daily helped me figure out the right medication my new doctor has prescribed.  …a need provided.  Our beloved daughter skillfully handles financial matters. She is a phone call away at all times for all other matters relating to this last chapter of my life. Another need:  My 94-year old neighbor insists on doing some grocery shopping for me since I don’t feel safe about driving the mountain roads into town anymore.  I continue to drive in Bear Valley …carefully.  My  neighbors around the curve have a key to my house in case I push the little black button and the paramedics come racing in.  Others are teaming up to keep me in my home.  Others fetch me for church and Bible study on Tuesday night. Others of  you, far and wide support me financially, emotionally and spiritually. Daily. I  am so grateful to all of you. My Father is meeting all of my needs. …just as He promised.

Bob, the bobcat is sitting on his brisket below my deck, eyeballing a gopher hole.  My felines know he is there;  they are nervous; they hover close; they cling.   One is sitting by my computer as I write.

It’s a beautiful fall day here. I will rejoice in it.

Love,  in Jesus,

 Jo




ARCHIVE