Friday, February 16, 2018

...NOTHIN' NEW

...under the sun. At times in my long life I have been up to my neck in alligators. Lately I have been up to my neck again as I have been studying First and Second Kings. Talk about your SWAMP!

 I listen to a few Bible teachers. One of my favorites has been in Heaven over a quarter of a century. J. Vernon McGee was was gravel-voiced, pragmatic, with a dry wit. When he knew he was going off to Heaven he told his radio team: "Keep the tapes rolling as long as the money holds out". Well, the money continues to "hold out". Every day the "Thru the Bible" team reads thrilling and encouraging new letters from countries whose names I can't even pronounce. ...and don't we need encouragement?

J. Vernon McGee pastored Church of the Open Door in Los Angeles for many years. In those days that downtown church was 10,000 strong. From there Biola University and Talbot Seminary were launched.  COD continues.under excellent leadership. I will tell you more about that next week but for now my suggestion is this:  Find on some device "Thru the Bible" with J. Vernon McGee. Your heart will be encouraged,  you will enjoy some chuckles and your knowledge of the scripture will be greatly increased.

Sixty-eight years ago when I was first  born again I memorized the following scriptures. They draw me back today to the only place we can find Truth.

Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee. 
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. 
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. 
For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit and of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 

Love,  Jo

My Ted would have been ninety years old today.

ARCHIVE