Friday, October 6, 2017

Being elderly

...isn't all bad. There are benefits.  Right now I can't think of many because my body hurts. A couple of months ago I lifted my deck bed and literally heard my back cr-a-c-k.  This bloop occurred at 4 P.M. on a Friday. My doctor lives down the hill.  I can see his house from my deck.  I could call him.  I won't.  If I were dying,  I might. On Monday, in his office in town this is what he concluded:  "Jo, you didn't break anything. Put ice on it. You'll heal.  Eventually",

A month later the pain had diminished from a piercing jab to an aching throb. Right about then a friend told me about Sketcher shoes. Love 'em!  I bought six colors. They feel like house slippers. ... with class. Now I have happy feet but my right arm is screaming blood murder. Rubber soles can stick on carpet.  I plunged headlong,  took the fall on my shoulder, lay on the floor too scared to move before scooting over to my bed and crawling in to wait for dawn, which came.  Eventually.  I am not going all the way into town just to hear my doctor/neighbor say,  "Jo, you didn't break anything. Put ice on it. You'll  heal.  Eventually".

I am healing. Do not advise me to invest in "Life Alert".  I already did.  After a month I told the nice lady who installed the device to come and get it.  Too cumbersome. It's ugly. So is the black wristband. The word "device" is a sinister word.  My handyman, John recently replaced two electrical outlets that sputtered and sparked from Multiple Device Cord Overload.

I don't hang with the elderly much but connect, delightedly,  with the next two generations. Yesterday, as some of them gathered at my house to study about Abraham and Sarah's stupid Plan B which will,  eventually, suck the world into Armageddon, we promised God to do our best to keep our personal screw-ups at a minimum.

                                     THROUGH IT ALL

Through it all; through it all.
I've learned to trust in Jesus.
I've learned to trust in God.
Through it all; through it all
I've learned to depend upon His Word. 

Love, Jo


ARCHIVE