Friday, August 10, 2012

ARE YOU HEALTHY?

Carole Lewis doesn't want to be amazing. ...too much pressure. She clings like a child to Jesus and His Word. Me too. Carole heads up First Place for Health, a ministry that gives hope to thousands of women who are overweight, overwrought and have pretty much given up that they will ever be healthy. She headquarters in Houston; I met her at Round Top Retreat several years ago.  She asked me to write the first chapter in her newest book, "Live Life Right Here Right Now!" ...so I did. It came in the mail today. You can buy it if you want by ordering from First Place For Health at 1-800-727-5223.

Today I went to Verna's house that sets waiting for a buyer.  She is 91, doesn't live here anymore, but her kids brought her to Bear Valley for a visit this weekend.  Jim and Annette who have had their own jazz band for years showed up and led us in a swingin' Singalong.

Verna worked for Moody Bible Institute for years, helping produce Science films. When Ted and I came here over 28 years ago, we both knew she was a woman to be trusted and admired. Her Bible study with a few women was the highlight of my week.  Now, I hear that from the wonderful women who come through my door on Wednesdays to study God's Word. (One brings her snow white Akita dog who lays down right beside her and snoozes.)  Around the room today at Verna's were widows and widowers and just two couples who are blessed to still have each other.  If you are still a couple, oh, do hug each other. A lot. ...and tell each other all the stuff that nobody else will ever want to listen to after one of you has gone off to Heaven.

All of my grandkids have thingies plugged into their ears listening to their music. I daresay the jazz songs we sang today would make them yawn. All six of my grandchildren always hold in their hand some gadget that connects them to a hundred people every day.  They need me for only two things: prayer and encouragement. When my thinkin' isn't stinkin' I am grateful that that's all they need me for. I have worked myself out of a job and I think that's the definition of discipleship.

Tomorrow I counsel and get a head start on Bible study for next week. Jesus is in the Old Testament concealed; in the New Testament He is revealed. ...but He is there. ...from Genesis to Revelation. I am going to new depths in my understanding of how much He is there. ...and this is the Jesus that awaits us all in eternity. God says we are already seated with Him in the Heavenlies. It doesn't feel like it, but from God's perspective, it's true. I like His perspective.

It's hot (for here) and I am tired. I have one room that is air conditioned and that's all I need. My
fluffy white comforters and my black and white fluffy cats are waiting for me there. Goodnight.

                          HYMN OF THE WEEK: WHEN WE ALL GET TO HEAVEN

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus. Sing his mercy and His grace
In the mansions bright and blessed, He'll prepare for us a place.
WHEN WE ALL GET TO HEAVEN; WHAT A DAY OF REJOICING THAT WILL BE
WHEN WE ALL SEE JESUS, WE'LL SING AND SHOUT THE VICTORY!

Love,

Jo


ARCHIVE