Thursday, January 17, 2019

Stop it!


Since we moved to this mountain a small phantom chorus of crickets has chirped in my ears.  They have thoughtfully kept the volume low.  I have been able to tune them out.   A few days ago suddenly the United States Army Cricket Marching Band showed up,  along with a diesel truck , with motor running.   It was a startling moment.

When something unusual shows up I call Cathy and Rick Nextdoor.  (That’s their last name:  “Nextdoor”.) They hurried over.  walked around and through my house, then in the tenderest possible tone of voice such as is reserved for very small babies and elderly neighbors,  they said:  “Jo, there is no truck and  there are no crickets.” 

Yesterday, the three of us went to see my doctor.  (Her name is Dr. Susan Hall.  She comes to my Summer Singalongs;  therefore I like her.)  Her P.A. went to work.  ...pushing a pointy light into first one ear, then the other.  Whatever was in one ear dislodged.  Not so, the other.  Meanwhile, the band plays on and the truck keeps right on running with a steady, low-pitched hum. 

 I am guessing that some of you suffer from Tinnitus.  One person told me about the “ear candle” treatment.  I am not a big fan of pain, so will  stick with my doctor’s efforts to get rid of whatever is chirping and roaring.

I'm on a roll, so I might as well tell you about my eyes:  They have little black and red whirling circles in them that go ‘round and round. ...like ballerinas in tutus. This pesky distraction also has a name:  Macular Degeneration. 

Those parts of me are all I want to talk about today. ...maybe ever.  Send only tried and successful suggestions. 


We are fearfully and wonderfully made. 

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE