Friday, August 17, 2018

Nevertheless...

 I love Paul's spin regarding "motives".  In I Corinthians 4:1-5, he's not sure of his, but he doesn't seem to obsess over it.  At best,  I know on a given day, in a given moment that my "conscience is clear".  ...but then, "conscience" can be based upon cultural peculiarities. One translation suggests that we Christians are a "peculiar people". That we are.  If we weren't,  how could we make a dent in a rotting culture that is sky-diving into an ocean of man-eating sharks if we just blend in?  

I live in a gated game-reserve community.  My next door neighbors just killed a rattlesnake in their front yard.  Their ten-year-old grandson looked out his bedroom window and there was a bear,  rummaging through their garbage-can. Nowhere on this earth are we safe from  intruders; ... nevertheless,  we are provided with  sure-fire weapons. 

God doesn't hand us rose-colored glasses when we open His Word.  If I were God, I wouldn't tell you about the screw-ups of my children.  would have slid right by David's affair with the bathing beauty next door and helped him choose a less bloody cover-up.  I would certainly not announce to the whole wife world that Rahab who was in the ancestral line of our Lord Jesus Christ was a prostitute!.  It's kind of shocking to read the back stories of  the other men and women who made the cut for the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11. ...but then, in all fairness,  they didn't have the Holy Spirit.  ...not "full time", anyway. ...not like we do. ...so what's my excuse when I screw up?  Ho, boy!

Since God is immensely pleased when we actually do faith,  how's yours coming along?  Before I leave Earth my body parts might act up something awful. ...so my faith will just have to grow 'way past mustard seed. 

Nevertheless,  all the while, we are being trained to judge angels.  Finally, the squabbles amongst Christians about whether to judge or not to judge will be over.  

I sure do like that word "nevertheless".  Here is a suggested "nevertheless":  Go online and listen to James Dobson's Family Talk Broadcast from August 16 and 17.  Your heart will be encouraged!

The other night, outside at the Mulligan Room,  Jim Davis was on the mandolin and I was on keyboard.  Jim Peck was on clarinet and Dave Hall sang bass.  Do you remember this great old toe-tappin' Gospel tune?  Pitch it in your key and sing!

       IN THE SWEET BY AND BY

There's a land that is fairer than day; 
And by faith we can see it afar. 
For the Father waits over the way
To prepare us a dwelling place there.

IN THE SWEET BY AND BY
WE SHALL MEET ON THAT BEAUTIFUL SHORE.
IN THE SWEET BY AND BY
WE SHALL MEET ON THAT BEAUTIFUL SHORE.  


To our bountiful Father above
We shall offer the tribute of praise.
For the glorious gift of His love
And the blessings that hallow our days.
CHORUS

 Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE