Friday, July 27, 2018

Buttons

The buttons on my KMART microwave oven are hard to push. Hunger pangs were increasing. The black-band Life Alert bracelet on my wrist must have bumped against the over. The little white Life Alert box on my kitchen counter blared:  "Are you all right?  Do you need help?" The land phone rang.  "This is the police. Are you all right?  Do you need help?" I answered both: "I'm fine; I do not need help. My wristband hit something."  Minutes later,  through my kitchen window I saw and heard three firemen racing toward my front door,  calling: "Are you all right?  Do you need help?"

My attire was a short, flimsy summer-weight nightgown. Two thoughts hit my mind: "Those guys are going to break down my locked door!  I've got to run for a robe!"   Too late to run, I unlocked the door. Three firemen bounded in. "Are you all right?  Do you need help?" Right behind them came three policemen.  Now,  six men in uniform surrounded an 89-year-old woman in a short, flimsy, summer-weight nightgown.  "Are you all right?  Do you need help?"  "I'm fine!   I don't need help." "Are you sure?"  "I'm sure!

The land phone rang; the little white box blared.  My cell phone played its musical little ditty. Signalling to the six men to cool their jets I answered the land phone. Dee, my daughter: "Mom, are you all right?  Your neighbor just called".  I lost count of the life alert, land and cell phone calls.  Finally, six suited-up men left, but not until one assured me that a technician would come the next morning to "check out your devices".   "Oh, please don't.   I want to eat my dinner, go to bed and sleep 'til noon!"  "Uhh, are you sure?" ."I am sure!" ..and out the door they went.  I don't want to even think about what they were saying as they got in their big ol' vehicles and headed down the mountain to their posts.  

Two thoughts come to mind:  1) Our Bear Valley Springs tax dollars are actually working!  2)  I need a new microwave with easy-to-push buttons. 

I don't want to be a woman whose buttons are easy to push.  God continues to work on that one.  I'm still here, doing the best I am able to rest in His promises. ... with gratefulness and anticipation. 

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead; ... an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled and that fadeth not away, reserved in Heaven for you".  I Peter 1:3,4. 

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE