Friday, August 25, 2017

What IS!

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but a section of my memory is. ...so, we celebrate what is and don't complain about what isn't. Below the water line in my mind are hundreds of songs that surface and come through my fingers. I am thankful that I can keep on playing for this and that.

THIS
Friday night  I gulped down an Ibuprofen and headed downhill to our community clubhouse. The rehearsal for the next-day wedding went on for several hours, giving me a pretty good idea that the actual wedding ceremony was not going to be a quickie. The Hispanic pastor married that couple in two languages! The wedding party soon disappeared for the photo shoot. The guests sat around tables, chatting and waiting. ...and waiting. I played every song I ever heard and improvised a few more. The wedding party returned; I played some more. Finally, the Mariachi band showed up. I slipped out the back door, made it up the hill before dark and fell into bed with an ice pack on my back.

THAT
The next day, Triassic from 3 to 5. A family of four from Belgium sat near the piano. The dad said: "I know all the songs you are playing and I like them." Now, that kind of sweet talk will keep a musician goin'.

A lady came to the piano. "Do you know any Welsh hymns? I am from Wales."

...and so it goes at Triassic Winery on a Sunday afternoon. Will Europe show up again this next Sunday? We shall see.

          WELSH/ENGLISH HYMN: LOVE DIVINE, ALL LOVE EXCELLING
                   Charles Wesley. 1707-1778 //  John Zundel, 1852-1882

Love, divine, all love excelling;
Joy of Heaven to earth come down.
Fix in us Thy humble dwelling,
All Thy faithful mercies, crown.
Jesus, Thou art all compassion; 
Pure, unbounded love Thou art. 
Visit us with Thy salvation
Enter every trembling heart. 

Finish then Thy new creation;
Pure and spotless, let us be. 
Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee.
Changed from glory into glory
'Til in Heaven we take our place.
'Til we cast our crowns before Thee,
Lost in wonder, love and praise.  Amen.

Love, Jo



ARCHIVE