Friday, January 15, 2016

More winter...

The cold is hard on us as we age, but this too shall pass. We melancholic/choleric personalities can easily slip into the dumps so I have to really discipline my mind on these foggy, snowy days. About two days of it and I've had it. I remember so well when we were in college in Northwestern in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Little Doug and I were shut in for months by mountains of snow. Ted would uncover five cars before he ever found ours. He never complained. ...about anything. Ever.

We melancholic/cholerics spot mistakes and try to fix them.  We want everything to be perfect and it never is. We fret something awful over fractured relationships and want to fix them all. Being a pastor's wife was both delightful and hard on me for this reason, because somebody was always displeased about something. Ted didn't notice, or if he did he wasn't bothered. In the churches there were always Pharisees. They scared me the most because I knew that sooner or later we were going to be in big trouble. Yep! Ted always slept like a baby while I tossed and turned far into the night. ...especially on Saturday nights when looming ahead of me the next day were more responsibilities than I could handle. ...and then there was always the Sunday night service besides.  I am convinced that it is old people like I am now that insist on Sunday night services. They (We) are lonely;  kids are gone, and we want to be with people, but for young pastors and families who have to show up for every bloomin' meeting, it is really tough. If there are Wednesday and Sunday night services in Heaven I'll bet son Doug and his dad go flyin' around the moon instead!

I am no recluse, but I do need alone time.  I also love and need other people. ... not only women, but I need a male's way of thinking and have no hesitation about asking for it from men that I respect.  All of these fellows are serious Bible students, are kind and treat me with honot. That alone means so much. At my age, I am no threat to anybody's wife.

...just a word to you in full-time ministry: If your wife is a melanchoic/choleric think about finding another way to serve God other than pastoring.  God won't be mad at you. Discipleshp of the few has always been God's way, and there are many ways to do that and still put food on the table and get your kids through college.

Well, I have shot my wad for this week. Here are a few scriptures that melancholic/choleric David still speaks to us: "Oh, righteous God who searches minds and hearts; bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. My shield is God most high who saves the upright in heart."  Psalm 7:9-10.

God, our Father has declared us "righteous"; therefore we can claim that verse.

Today's vow:  I will trust Him to make all things right that I have no control over whatsoever.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to TRUST AND OBEY!

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE