Thursday, December 24, 2015

MY FIRST CHRISTMAS

The year was 1947. It was Christmastime. ...my very first one as a Christian. I was going home to the farm to be with my family and Ted, my Navy boyfriend, home on leave.  Peace with God was brand new.  Should I be quiet, Lord, about knowing you? I've already written Ted and he wrote back, telling me to "GET OUT OF THAT CULT!!" If I tell my brothers, their wives and my parents, how will they react? I don't know how to tell 'em! Jesus, could you send a zinger of a snowstorm so I can't get home for Christmas?  I barely know you, but yet, somehow I DO! Your birthday never did mean anything to me before because I didn't even know you were on the Planet.  Since I just heard about your death and resurrection I can't quite get my mind wrapped around your birthday. I guess you had to have been born or you couldn't have grown up to go to the CROSS, and I just heard about that a couple of months ago. I'm still getting used to the idea that you had me in mind in a Garden called Geth something or other and you sweat drops of blood. I don't quite get the Holy Spirit or God-the-Father, but as I am stumbling around in the Book of John something about the other Two seems kind of right. Somebody told me that all Three are really "One" but I sure I don't understand that! Maybe later.

Jesus, you will help me know what to say and how to act,  won't you?  I have met some people who know you, and they wrap me in love I have never experienced before.  What is it about them that is so different? ...but I still wish just one person would spend some time reading the Bible with me. They take me to meetings, but I don't understnd a whole lot. Once more, Jesus, will you help me know what to say and when to say it. ...or not."

...and He did. One brother who "knew all things" told me that when he was stationed in the Fiji Islands in the Air Force he found out that the missionaries who went there ruined the lifestyle of the natives because they made them put on clothes and stop having more than one wife.  Everyone at the Christmas dinner table laughed. My other brother gave me his "You're just a kid" look and said:   "You'll grow out of it." I didn't say much after that, but somehow I knew I wouldn't "grow out of it".

...and now all who laughed are in Heaven,  I think. It was a long hard road for every one of them, for they were all "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" people. For this reason, all of my ministry years I have been drawn to the brand new believer who doesn't fit in their before-families any more. It's a tough time. ...a really tough time. ...a make or break time.

Son Jeff drove all the way from Sacramento for an overnight with me last week. He and Carla flew to Philadelphia to be with granddaughter Lauren on Christmas Day. She is taking up the Doctor profession that her grandfather Ted left in 1948 to tend to souls rather than bodies. I was with Brent, Lexi and Dee for Christmas morning, then we went to Bakersfield and separated to spent the rest of the day with others.

This past week a  tsunami of tears broke loose right after I heard from a Campus Crusade friend that Vonette Bright had just slipped into Heaven.  She is with Jesus and husband Bill (The "Four Spiritual Law" man) now. My friend sent me Vonette's Goodbye to the CRU staff, recorded just a couple of weeks ago.  So many of us who are escaping into Heaven knew and helped each other when we came to Christ many years ago. We all hit the ground running.  Dear Lord, PLEASE SEND ANOTHER JESUS MOVEMENT!

How I love the many of you He has sent for me to love and encourage. You bless me to the marrow of my bones. ...deep down in there where the Word of God is hanging on tight! Oh, precious ones, don't fold up in despair. As the gloom morphs into darkness,  people will be desperate to hear about The Rock.

THIS ROCK IS JESUS, YES, HE'S THE ONE!
THIS ROCK IS JESUS, THE ONLY ONE!
BE VERY SURE; BE VERY SURE
YOUR ANCHOR HOLDS AND GRIPS THE SOLID ROCK.

In times like these you need a Savior.
In times like these you need an anchor.
Be very sure; be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock.

In times like these you need the Bible
In times like these, Oh, be not idle.
Be very sure; be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!

In times like these, I have a Savior.
In times like these, I have an anchor.
I'm very sure; I'm very sure
My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock.

THIS ROCK IS JESUS, YES, HE'S THE ONE.
THIS ROCK IS JESUS, THE ONLY ONE!
BE VERY SURE; BE VERY SURE
YOUR ANCHOR HOLDS AND GRIPS THE SOLID ROCK!

Be blessed. He WAS born. He DID die.  He AROSE and we LIVE. ... FOREVER!

Jo

ARCHIVE