Friday, October 23, 2015

Obsessions

On an icy cold Kansas morning I was sleeping soundly when Blair, the older of my two brothers shook me awake. "Come on, Tiny. Let's GO!" He had promised that I could go duck hunting with him if I didn't lag behind or whimper about the cold. The rules were the same when he let me go fishing or varmint hunting with him. More than anybody in the world I wanted to please my brother (s) so I jumped out of bed, pulled on "long johns", snow boots, snow suit, yanked my wool cap over my ears and away we went...down a dirt road for several miles to a pond. We flattened ourselves on the ground behind the dam and waited. Blair fetched his duck call from his pocket, in case he had to lure down any ducks that were migrating south for the winter.  On this particular morning we heard loud quacking coming from the north.  In a perfect V shape, here they came, plummeted down, skimmed over the pond, put on their brakes and glided to a smooth stop...not a bit unlike the giant jets that have propelled my husband and me to many places in our world.

I feel a memory coming on. We were in New York with friends, and had visited Ellis Island on the 9th of September, 2001. We docked within a few blocks of the Twin Towers and returned to White Plains where we were staying in the home of another dear friend. On the morning of the 11th, rather than returning to New York City we decided to travel west to Niagara Falls. On the way I flipped on the radio. We could not absorb what we were hearing. One of the Towers had been hit and was falling, story by story.  On the right side of the highway was a truck stop with dozens of trucks parked in the lot. We joined them just in time to watch on TV as the second tower was hit and began to crash to the ground. We sat in stunned horror.  After a very long time we decided to travel on to the Falls, only to find that it had been closed down, lest Al Qaeda strike this major supply of water for the entire East Coast.

A few days later we were allowed to go back into the City that was nearly devoid of tourists. Smoke was still pouring from the site. One Broadway show, "The Music Man" was playing so we joined half an audience to watch the actors put on a stellar performance,  ending with an enormous American flag dropping to the floor at the back of the stage.  We stood to our feet, weeping and singing "God Bless America", backed up by the magnificent "Seventy-Six Trombone" band.  I will never, ever forget it.  Five days later we were on the first plane allowed to fly out of Kennedy International. After a nearly silent flight across our nation we landed in LAX.  When our 747 glided to an uneventful smooth stop, a packed plane-load of people stood to our feet and shouted!  Those are moments one does not forget!

...back to the pond in Kansas. My brother knew ducks. He studied ducks. He had no patience with anyone who didn't. He knew those ducks were hungry and would soon waddle out of the pond into the nearby cornfield for breakfast. Now, dear readers, no respectable hunter ever shoots a "sitting duck". (Remember that when someone shoots you when you are just paddling around, minding your own business.)  My brother knew when it was time to wait and when it was time to shoot.  Getting "trigger happy" doth not produce a duck dinner. This lesson would serve me well during our many years in the pastorates. I never shot anybody,  but I came dangerously close a few times.  When the ducks headed for the cornfield Blair rose to his full six foot three inches and ...Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Six ducks fell to the ground. He rarely missed.  Later he went to work as an exhibition shooter for Remington Rand.

Grandma always cleaned the fish and game. She plucked the feathers off of those ducks in minutes, depositing the downier ones in sacks that would later be stuffed into muslin pillow slips and mattress covers. (Remember John Denver's "Grandma's Feather Bed"?)  Years later I became so tired of mattresses that I actually bought a feather bed. Naw...phony feathers...not hand-plucked by my Grandma.

Blair not only knew ducks, he also knew fish, and became a well-known fishing guide for the rich and famous who flew in to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas for a weekend of sports fishing.  He was often featured on a Kansas City TV sports show. When he learned that a new recreational fishing lake was being excavated from the land in any of those states he made an appointment with the Corps of Engineers and studied the varying gradations of the ground that would soon be covered with water. He knew what kind of fish hung out in each depth. There's a lesson hangin' around in there. You'll figure it out. 

Hunters and fishermen are a breed all their own. Maybe that's why I get such a kick out of "Duck Dynasty", whereas some of my friends think they're a bunch of hicks. Well, I have known some mighty smart hicks.  My brother Blair was obsessed about hunting and fishing. I admired his commitment to become the best in his trade, but I so needed brothers to teach me how to live. ...and die, for I didn't know how to do either.  I borrowed other people's brothers who knew Jesus and introduced me to Him.   I followed Him, and He became my "Magnificent Obsession".

You will meet my family-of-origin in Heaven. Each had to come to the end of themselves to allow Him to come in. It was especially tough for my two tall, handsome, confident, independent tough brothers to admit that they needed a Savior. Once they were convinced that my Ted was not some sissified "city feller" he had a powerful influence for Christ in their lives.  I would need the discernment I gained from dealing with my prideful brothers for the calling the Lord placed upon our lives. As a Chinese friend of mine says: "God is very economical. He uses everything !"  ...and indeed, He does!

                    OLD HYMN:   UNDER HIS WINGS

Under His wings I am safely abiding.
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild.
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me.
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow.
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest.
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort and there I am blest.

Under His wings, Oh what precious enjoyment.
There will I hide 'til life's trials are o'er.
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me.
Resting in Jesus, I'm safe evermore.

UNDER HIS WINGS; UNDER HIS WINGS.
WHO FROM THIS LOVE CAN SEVER?
UNDER HIS WINGS MY SOUL SHALL ABIDE;
SAFELY ABIDE FOREVER, 

Love,  Jo




ARCHIVE