Wednesday, March 11, 2015

SOBS/ANGER/STRENGTH

When Ted and I heard the Gospel we believed It and received It. We were desperate. I was in a tiny little fellowship of six adults and a bunch of college kids in a make-shift church just off the campus of Kansas State Colllege. Ted was in a bus depot with no Bible or any Christians to lead him in the prescribed sinner's prayer. Later he told me this is what he said to God; "I don't even know if you exist or not, but if you do and you can change my life like you have changed my girlfriend's, come in." My prayer six months before had not been too much different: "Jesus, I need you! Come in!" Those decisions cost us a relationship with our families-of-origin for a long time. It was very painful, but it was necessary. Early on, in a fishing family, I learned that we are either going to fish or cut bait!  We chose to fish!  Matthew 10:32 through 38 became our New Reality right out of the chute.

The Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God that reconciles us to God divides us even from families sometimes.  My parents were in their mid-70's before they came to know Jesus. Both of my brothers dragged their feet for years.  A brother of Ted's and his family have come to Him over the years. That brother's life on earth was taken by a brain tumor, as was Ted's. I had a two hour conversation this week with one of Ted's nephews who has taken up his cross to follow Jesus.  I want to dance! I think I will!

This week something happened that caused me to give in to uncontrollable sobs. You don't need to know what that "something" was.  On my worst day when the rage was spewing out the Lord sent a pastor friend who had no idea he was walking into an aging Irish woman's buzz saw. Because I trust this man I dumped my anguish all over him. He gently, but firmly walked me to the real source of my anger...satan himself. Why would I think it would be anyone else?
.
What are you mad about and at whom? Tell a trusted friend and with scripture, come against the dirty rotten enemy of your soul.  He hates Jesus and he hates any of us who walk this wicked earth with and for Him.
                                                    A MIGHTY FORTRESS --Martin Luther

A mighty fortress is our God; a bulwark never failing
Our helper He amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great and armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal. 

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He!
Lord Sabaoth is His Name, from age to age the same;
AND HE MUST WIN THE BATTLE!

And though this world with devils filled should threaten to undo us
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.
The prince of darkness grim; we tremble not for him; 
His rage we can endure, for lo his doom is sure, 
ONE LITTLE WORD SHALL FELL HIM! 

That WORD above all earthly powers; no thanks to them abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go; this mortal life also
The body they may kill; God's truth abideth still;
HIS KINGDOM IS FOREVER! 

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE