Friday, February 6, 2015

Regret: satan's Bullseye!

In order to balance my female spin on matters I need a couple of trusted men around me since Ted went off to be with Jesus. One of those, an older pastor discerned that I was under attack from satan. I was feeling regret for putting our children's dad's and ministry requirements ahead of theirs at times. Not all made choices that would not bring painful consequences. The blame for their choices was hitting me right in the belly. (Did you know that in many languages the soul is actually called the belly?)   I quote from my pastor friend's Email to me: "Dear sister-in-Christ, ...about regrets: We all have them, but regret acts like guilt long after God covers it by His grace. The adversary stirs regret to reinvigorate guilt over things confessed and forgiven. When we give him a hearing, he will prompt us to mishandle the pain of regret and move from self-pity to resentment to bitterness."  Bingo!

On my very worst day during this attack my Lord sent a pair of veteran missionaries with whose ministry Ted and I have been associated for years.  This beloved couple is returning to a Muslim-dominated mission field very soon.  The husband's question: "What do you believe I need to concentrate on most as we return to train ten new couples on our field?"  I needed to think about the question. After they left I texted them a shorter version of what I am about to write. 1)  Make sure the two of you are lovers. I am not talking about sex. You will get your sex if you pay attention to what I am about to tell you.  Most married women servants are emotionally starving to death. This condition will manifest in depression, physical illness, mood swings, repressed anger and possibly death. Divorce is usually unthinkable for that would make the husband and God look bad, and wives must protect the image of both.  It says so in the "Submission Manual" that some insecure, domineering or unmarried man like Bill Gothard has written.   She must lay down her life for her husband... whether or not he lays down his life for her.  2) To implement the above:  Ask your wife what her love language is, then give her time to recover from the shock that you asked!  3) Wait and listen as she fumbles around for her answer.  This may take a couple of weeks or months because she has to make sure you really want to know.  4)  Now you have a decision to make:  Are you willing to nail your male pride to the Cross, admit that you do not know how to agape her by submitting to let her teach you? Uhhh, read Ephesians 5:21 before you read verse 22.  Go on.  Read it!   Ephesians 5:25 applies to you as well as to the people you lead."

...and now for other people who read this blog that are not in full-time ministry.  If you are Christians, you are in "full-time ministry".  Don't think for a minute that these words do not apply to you!  

Well, that's about it for this week. I've shot my wad. It has cost me emotionally. I think I will go back to bed.

                                 OLD HYMN: YIELD NOT TO TEMPTATION

Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin
Each victory will help you some other to win.
Fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue
Look ever to Jesus; He'll carry you through. 

To Him that o'ercometh, God giveth a crown
Through faith we will conquer, though often cast down.
He who is our Saviour, our strength will renew.

Look ever to Jesus; He'll carry you through. 

Ask the Saviour to help you, comfort, strengthen and keep you.
He is willing to aid you;  He will carry you through. 

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE