Thursday, October 24, 2013

The right kind of ambition


It was a thrilling week, as it always is every October when I return to be with my beloved Texas friends. I was spoiled and loved every minute of it! Thank you who travelled to visit with me at Round Top.  What a treat!  One wonderful woman who came to see me was one of the first I ever led into scripture in 1957 when she was brand new in Jesus. She has been used to disciple countless people all these years. 

Thirty-five years ago Nick and Euphanel gave their lives and everything they possessed to Christ. I sat in their Round Top Retreat Board meeting last Friday night in a circle of members who are all sacrificing disciplers. I should have been washing their feet instead of sopping up being treated like visiting royalty. ...but it felt so good!

Another part of the thrill of being at Round Top was watching with wonder as dear Michele Lawrence led the worship for FirstPlace4Health, taught an encouraging Bible study for a group of women every day,  and blessed the hearts of the faithful leaders of that transforming ministry.  She lugged my luggage and did all the travel-thinking and planning for me. I am so grateful.

Suggestion: Download the website, FirstPlace4Health as well as that of Round Top Retreat.

I so wanted to be famous when I was growing up on our east Kansas farm.  I would stand on a stack of hay bales and sing,with dramatic gestures to the cows, horses, pigs and chickens.  I  married a man who had no ambitions to be famous. From his beginnings, hard-wired into his soul were phrases like:

If you don't care who gets the credit, God will do great things. 
Humiliation precedes honor.
The Cross precedes the Crown.
God only uses broken things.
Self sufficiency must be replaced by Son-sufficiency.

His sermon on iTunes and 12stoneslegacy, and Ted's podcasts: "The Right Kind of Ambition" pretty much exposes the wrong kind of ambition by emphasizing the right kind of ambition.

One of our precious granddaughters told me on the phone last night, "Gramma, I listened to one of Grandpa's messages on my iPod. I lost it and sobbed and had to call my Mom."  I "lose it" too, Honey, when I listen to his voice, but dear Grandgirl,  keep listening. These messages are your legacy. This granddaughter was in what could have been a fatal car accident a couple of weeks ago. Her jeep? History. She is miraculously alive with no injuries.

Some of the next generation will walk through my door soon to study Romans in preparation for reaching others with the Gospel. One of these wonderful women and her husband are opening the Word of God to kids who come around their job site asking for more Bible verses. Others in the group are touching the lives of many lost people. Praise His Holy Name!

Would you live for Jesus, and be always pure and good?
Would you walk with Him within the narrow road?
Would you have Him bear your burden, carry all your load?
Let Him have His way with thee.

HIS POWER CAN MAKE YOU WHAT YOU OUGHT TO BE;
HIS BLOOD CAN CLEANSE YOUR HEART AND MAKE YOU FREE
HIS LOVE CAN FILL YOUR SOUL, AND YOU WILL SEE
'TWAS BEST FOR HIM TO HAVE HIS WAY WITH THEE

Love, Jo

ARCHIVE