Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Lord will fight for you

I have six grandchildren. I pray for them every morning by name. I love them. I don't see them very often, but I am not whining. This morning three grandchildren plus two of their buddies showed up for breakfast. The Lord multiplied the loaves and fishes. Our three grands and I had a reminiscent time that was sweeter than honey.  Their two friends politely listened as our three told of the many hilarious games they played over the years in this Grandpa and Gramma house. Then one (who shall remain nameless) said: "I miss our talks about God" ...and this gramma melted into a puddle. ...so we ended our time together in the living room with a run-through of Psalm 23. Only He knows what will remain with them from this morning's talk about God but something will and we can count on it!

In my personal morning time with God He still has me immersed in Job's story. Maybe Moses recorded this philosophical work; maybe Ezra or Solomon or maybe even Job himself.  I think Job was written 1) to rebuke the slander of Satan against mankind; 2)  to reveal Job to himself; 3) to teach him patience as his three "friends" showed up to debate him rather than comfort him.  This book lopes along until we reach what may be God's main reason for writing the book: to teach that we never get beyond our human condition that requires repentance.  God selected the best man who had ever lived with the exception of Jesus Christ to show us that.

I run from people who think they "get God". ...like Job's friends.  How do we "get God"? You know the answer: through suffering.  I am finding that whatever security blanket I have enfolded around myself slips off and there I am: naked before my Lord. (Don't picture it! Please!)  Adam and Eve didn't like that much and neither do I. Neither did Job. We know from scripture that "If we suffer with Him we will also reign with Him".  Now I do like that picture much better!

Job had been living in a fools' paradise. He knew God as a Creator; he understood Him as a Redeemer but he did not know God as a Sustainer and the One Who loved Him. It took him awhile to know in the deepest places of his heart that God would not let anything happen to him unless it would make him more aware of His presence. He had lived in a Cinderella world and when the clock struck midnight his chariot turned into a pumpkin.

Job had dreaded something like this and states as much in the third chapter. Over and over he has used the pronouns "I" and "me". He defends himself repeatedly,...almost to the end of the Book. It most certainly does take mature trust in our Lord not to defend ourselves. Somewhere in II Samuel God says, "The Lord will fight for you!"

Job was coming to brokenness. My dear Ted called this terrible necessity "The death rattle of the male ego". He maintained that a proud man will not become teachable until he loses his job, his health and his marriage. ...in that order.

..and that's why I won't write a book:  As with Job during this abysmal account of his breaking, I can't yet leave the "I's" and "me's" out of my story; but I am trusting my human tactics less and less, and turning to the living God Who has given me Holy weapons with which to "fight the good fight". 

                 HYMN OF THE WEEK: "HUMBLE THYSELF TO WALK WITH GOD"

If thou wouldst have the dear Savior from heaven walk by thy side from the morn till the even
There is a rule that each day you must follow: Humble thyself to walk with God.
HUMBLE THYSELF AND THE LORD WILL DRAW NEAR THEE
HUMBLE THYSELF AND HIS PRESENCE SHALL CHEER THEE
HE WILL NOT WALK WITH THE PROUD OR THE SCORNFUL
HUMBLE THYSELF TO WALK WITH GOD

Love, Jo

ARCHIVE