Saturday, September 22, 2012

Mom, Dad's in the scriptures

It was about a week after Ted was gathered into the arms of Jesus and taken to Heaven. Second son, Jeff called from Sacramento to say: "Mom, Dad's in the scriptures!" I didn't reply for a minute because I didn't understand what he meant. Then he explained: "Everywhere I am reading in scripture, Dad is there"!  ....and it's so true. I am just finishing reading through Genesis in the "One Year Chronological Bible", and I've been thinking all the way: Maybe Ted has already met Adam and Eve, Abel (oh, Cain, why did you not read the directions?), and the bazillion or so progeny that followed.

I,  along with many of you, "groan for Heaven". I weep for it sometimes, actually, but then my Father brings over my phone or through my computer a reason that causes me to say, "Uhh... I didn't mean it, Lord.  I can wait a little longer". One day this week a  young man invited me to a Bible study he has started and asked me to wrap it up at the end. Less than a year ago, this young man's life was in a shambles. As I listened to him present a well-thought-through Bible lesson,  I thought my heart would explode with joy! This week has been one of those that has brimmed with reports of God's heaven-activity through the lives of precious ones who are drenching themselves in God's Word  and partnering with Jesus to bring hope and new life to others. 

Some of us have been searching for Jesus in the Psalms in our Bible studies. Psalm 40 has for years been a "Balm in Gilead" for me and I cannot count the many that needed to read, absorb and be lifted by it that He has brought into my life. ...but I have missed the main Person in the Psalm. It's JESUS"For we do not have a High Priest  who is unable to sympathize  with our weaknesses , but we have One who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin." This Psalm is about His suffering before and during the Cross. I have been so focused on my suffering and the suffering of those that come for comfort that I missed God's graphic description of the Lamb's suffering altogether.

We would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that as a nation, we are in serious jeopardy. If we do not bless Israel, we will no longer be blessed by God.  ...but to let that fact control my mind, my emotions and my will is sin.  Yes, we are to "wait expectantly" for His coming to fetch us,  but we are not to be bored and boring while we wait!

Years ago I heard Charles Ryrie (professor at Dallas Seminary) speak on I Thessalonians 1:10. Greek scholar that he was,  he translated the verse this way: "(We are to ) wait UP for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead --Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath". Now, we know that the term "wait up" isn't even considered correct grammar, but the Greeks apparently didn't know that. While we "wait" we start our days with, "O.K. Father. What are we going to do together today? Let's get after it!"

                                HYMN OF THE WEEK: HALLELUJAH, WHAT A SAVIOR!

"'Man of Sorrows," what a name for the Son of God who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim! Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing  shame and scoffing rude; in my place condemned He stood
Sealed my pardon with His blood; Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we; spotless Lamb of God was He.
Full atonement, can it be! Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die; "It is finished!" was His cry.
Now in heav'n exalted high; Hallelujah! what a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King; all His ransomed home to bring
Then anew this song we'll sing,  Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Love, Jo






ARCHIVE