Saturday, September 29, 2012

...but I thought You came to bring peace, Jesus

There was a holy reason the Spirit guided me to Proverbs 16:7 when Christ took over my life when I was nineteen years old. My family of origin was negative and critical, except for my maternal Christian grandmother who lived with us and left us for Heaven when I was fourteen. From that time on, it was as if someone reached up and turned off the light switch. Darkness set in for the next five years. That "darkness" felt like this: "You are bad and we adults are here to tell you so." Translated: "You will never be worth an investment of any kind."

...then a few adult Christians welcomed me into their circle and showed me that I was worth their investment.  The Holy Spirit Who had entered my soul guided me to Matthew 10:34:  "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword, for I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household." I began to experience the pain of the "Dividing Sword" of Jesus. At the same time I was experiencing the beauty of the pure, sacrificial love of Christ in my emerging Heavenly family.

One of the many times when Jesus was talking with a crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside wanting to speak to him, "Someone told him, 'Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you'.  He replied to him, 'Who is my mother and who are my brothers?'  Pointing to the disciples, he said, 'Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in Heaven is my brother and sister and mother.' "  His dear mother had been told by the angel Gabriel "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God." ...and she replied: "I am the Lord's servant...."  As the news of her pregnancy leaked into the community, Mary suffered as the Sword divided.  Later, as Jesus spoke to the crowd, she had to have known that her son's words did not apply to her.  Jesus' brothers had not yet believed that He was the long-awaited Messiah.

Because of the terrible damage to my young soul years ago, I pick up very quickly on legalism that portrays a Heavenly Father Who is never satisfied with anything we do for Him.  I have been convinced for years that when people enter into the thrilling knowledge and comfort of His unconditional love most lift their bar of behaviour higher.  I have been a mentor/discipler/counsellor for many years. Never once has anyone come to me, broken and discouraged,  that has understood that God the Father measures their preciousness to Him by every drop of the blood of His Son. Many have suffered rejection from members of their own family , religions, or Christians who hold them hostage through guilt, shame and blame.

Paul won the prize when the Sanhedrin held "Biggest Bully of the Year" contests . ...but  then later, after he was cleansed forever from the terrible murders he had committed,  he wrote in II Corinthians 5:17 " "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! ...God was reconciling us to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them."

I distance from Christians who are in bondage to the evil one who tells them: "You are a dirty, rotten sinner and that is all you will ever be!" That person has made an idol out of someone. So, my dear friends, what idol is holding you hostage? Does that "idol" wield more power over you than the Father and His infallible Word?  Remember how the Egyptians worshipped idols? Then remember how God caused those very idols to drive them to the brink of insanity?  That's what idols eventually do, even idols in the form of human beings and institutions.  In Exodus 20:2, 3,  He told the Israelites: "I am the Lord your God Who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me". 

                 HYMN OF THE WEEK: SINCE JESUS CAME INTO MY HEART

What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought since Jesus came into my heart!
I have light in my soul for which long I had sought since Jesus came into my heart!
SINCE JESUS CAME INTO MY HEART; SINCE JESUS CAME INTO MY HEART
FLOODS OF JOY O'ER MY SOUL LIKE THE SEA BILLOWS ROLL
SINCE JESUS CAME INTO MY HEART!
I'm possessed of a hope that is steadfast and sure since Jesus came into my heart!
And no dark clouds of doubt now my pathway obscure since Jesus came into my heart!
CHORUS

Love, Jo

ARCHIVE