Thursday, September 13, 2018

Obsolete

Before we figure out how to use a new device, it's obsolete.  I am just figuring out life. So are a great many in their 80's and 90's.  I will tell you about a couple of women who are not "obsolete". Both are in retirement homes. One, in Houston; the other in Fresno. They don't know each other.  They will. Before long.  But not quite yet.

The one in Houston is not computer savvy.  She can't read my blog, but manages to stay reasonably "with it"  anyway. She is Swedish.  Despite that, she has a sense of humor.  Her penmanship is perfect.  Mine looks like chicken scratches, so I call or type letters to her.  She always responds, reporting first of all on the weather. What I have never told her is that we left Houston because of the weather. 

Then there's R.  In Fresno. She's 93. ...or maybe 94. Doesn't matter. She is still a barrel of fun.  R. and F.  were the couple Ted and I chose to counsel our daughter and her man before their marriage.  F.  was a new Christian.  He didn't know much scripture but he sure knew how to live life with integrity.  R. and I have lots of laughs.

I hang pretty much with people who can laugh at their own humanness.  Take my current pastor.  He does that. ...chuckles at himself.  I like that.  On Sunday mornings I sit practically under his nose. …for two reasons:  I don’t hear so well anymore. The other?  People tend to download their agonies on me. …so I wear my pretend horse blinders …the kind my dad put on his four- horse team to keep them focused on the job.  My “job” is to stay as sane as possible in an insane world.

The aortic aneurysm in my chest hasn’t blown up yet. The hiatal hernia is just hanging out in my rib cage. All of you readers have something “hanging out”. …so let’s just cut our losses and enjoy what we’ve got left.

Tonight:  another Singalong outside. It will be chilly. Oh, well. 

Do all things without murmurings and disputings, that you may be blameless and harmless in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.  …holding forth the Word of God.   Philippians 2 something or other.

Love,  Jo




ARCHIVE