Friday, July 7, 2017

Purpose

Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life" sold a bazillion copies everywhere there was a book stand. Everybody seems to need a purpose.  I still do, at 88, but am not as "driven" as heretofore. The Lord sends me just enough millenials to guide into scripture and encourage in their faith.

There's not a white chalk mark around my body and I still have a pulse, so there's still time for me to learn to leave alone what I cannot figure out about God. He asks that I trust Him. The evidence is clear: He is trustworthy! Another proven characteristic about God is promised in Romans 2: His kindness (goodness) brings us to repentance when the world, the flesh and the devil wage war against us and our faith momentarily falters.

Do I understand everything about God? Of course not. Ecclesiastes says it well: "I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time; He has also set eternity in the human heart, yet no man can fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

Ira Sankey, the "sweet singing Methodist "of the late 1800's wrote this poignant hymn

Encamped along the hills at night, ye Christian soldiers, rise. 
And press the battle, ere the night shall veil the glowing skies.
Against the foe in vales below, let all our strength be hurled
Faith is the victory, we know that overcomes the world. 

Faith is the victory; faith is the victory.
Oh, glorious victory that overcomes the world. 

Love, Jo


ARCHIVE