Friday, June 23, 2017

Summertime Show

Last Sunday morning tree branches outside my patio door were swaying. Wait a minute! I don't have a tree there! Slowly pushing aside the vertical blinds I slid open the glass door and peered straight into the eyes of a full size male Tule elk!  Startling! Beautiful! Majestic! He shook his antlers at me while I fumbled around in my pocket for my I phone camera. By the time I figured out how to use it the animal was ambling up the hill. I managed to snap a picture of his huge hind quarters.

Speaking of  "huge hind quarters" in a few minutes I will join thirty or so older women and men at the pool for exercise. I will follow Marti's instructions to "MOVE it!" Water exercise is not only good for our bodies, but for our souls as well.

Bear Valley Springs is a gated game reserve. We have our own police and fire departments. We drink water from wells. Besides elk our other large animals are hundreds of deer, some bears and mountain lions. The little guys are raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, rodents, skunks, opossums,  bob cats, coyotes and probably some others. Birds? Oh, my goodness! Even condors! Snakes?  We have them. It is soothing to know that 'way back in the Garden after the seductive serpent did his number on the first people, God chopped off his legs, cursed him and told him to "Crawl!"  Yes, I sleep on my twenty-foot high deck in the summertime. Am I afraid? No. In the five cities in which we lived I sometimes was. Now I look up at the stars God calls by name and feel comforted.

In the Millennium lions will lie down and take naps with lambs. ...a lovely visual. "The devil made me do it" will not fly as an excuse for sinning because the enemy of our souls will be bound and gagged. We will be here and will be judging angels. I guess my training for that assignment isn't finished and since you're reading this, neither is yours.

"Summertime. When the livin' is easy. Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high.  Your mammy's rich and your daddy's good lookin'...so hush, lil' baby, don' you cry."  Oh.  Sorry. Wrong show.

Christie is picking me up to go into our little mountain town to the Farmer's Market. We will listen to some music and buy fresh-picked garden sass. That's what my Grandma used to call it.

Do your best to think and speak with gratitude today about something. It will change your mood and bless others.

            Hymn from the 1800's

For the beauty of the earth;
For the glory of the skies
For the love which from our birth 
Over and around us lies.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise. 

Love,  Jo








ARCHIVE