Saturday, January 14, 2017

Our Unpredictable Minds

I remember a whole lot of things that would be best forgotten. At the same time I can't remember what I had for supper last night.   ...but then,  I remember the names of my friends' dogs. In the 60's Sukie and Dexter's saggy- jowled Basset Hound's name was "Queenie". and Pat and Ed's lovely brown, pettable dog's name was "Gussie".

A snowstorm is brewing. Check list: Plenty of food for Puss 'n Boots and me. Check. Furnaces working. Check. Plenty of firewood in case the furnaces die. Check. Both land and cell phone working. Check. Gas in all-wheel drive Honda truck. Check. No flat tires. Check. An arsenal of scriptures to ward off satan's attacks  Check. Actually, that last item on the check list is the most important of all.

A California snow storm brings up memories of Minnesota winters when our little sandy-haired Dougie and I were confined indoors for months while Daddy worked and went to school.  From the time he was about four years old our little son would ask me: "Mommy, do you think Jesus will come today?" After some decades and Jesus hadn't shown up, one night Doug doubled up in excruciating cancer pain, couldn't wait any longer, so like his dad eleven months before, he went to be with Jesus. Just when I think the grief of losing them both in the same year has subsided I hear something about Doug that I had never heard before and the tears begin to flow. On Christmas night a twenty-three year old woman law student from Sacramento crashed our family party. She came over to where I was, sat down in front of me on the floor, looked up into my face and asked: "O.K, How do you reconcile science and the Bible?"  Then she said: "When I was fifteen years old I asked your son Doug that very same question and here's what he told me: 'God created dinosaurs and kittens on the same day!'  I  never forgot it.  Is that what you believe too?"

That was Doug Stone.  He kept me laughing and crying for fifty-nine years. ...sometimes, on the same day. How does a mom ever get over missing a son like that? I guess we don't,

Here's a little chorus we used to sing. Do you remember it?

Got any rivers you think are uncrossable?
God any mountains you can't tunnel through?
God specializes in things thought impossible.
And He will do what no other One can do.

He who dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord: "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust."  Psalm 91:1&2.

Love, Jo

ARCHIVE