Wednesday, August 24, 2016

His Deep Love

"Jo, nobody wants to hear any more of your war stories. Out of respect for your age nobody tells you the truth." That's the whisper I hear when I sit down to write at my computer. ...but I must write,...so O.K.,  here's another story: Years ago, when in Taiwan I broke away from the missionary meetings and went out on the Taipei streets to explore.  We had no cell phones;  I couldn't speak the language so couldn't ask directions. What was I thinking?  That Kansas farm girl who had no playmates or adults with time to show me the way struck out, looking for whatever was out there that I'd never seen before.  I came up on a Buddhist temple, pushed open the door and went into the dark interior. Across the room, facing a blank wall stood a woman, throwing some kind of clay discs against the wall. ...again and again, then leaning down to observe the way they fell.  Apparently not satisfied, she took a stick in each hand, faced the wall and bowed low each time she lowered the sticks. I stayed silent in the shadows. After a time she sadly shuffled out the door. I left too, walking slowly through the crowded, clamorous streets of Taipei, Taiwan, gradually finding my way to the steep hill that led to our residence for the week. Ted, busy with his meeting with the missionaries and Dr. Ed Murphy, our teaching companion had not noticed that I was gone. Good!

Here on my mountain, at 87 years of age I am on a new-to-me adventure. I have climbed onto the "Bible Bus" with hundreds of thousands of travelling companions from all around our world. The Holy Spirit is driving. J. Vernon McGee, in Heaven now for over thirty years is teaching us. It's a five year trip if I take it slow and easy. ...but that's not my style.  Some days I stay on the bus for hours. ...because now,  I can. I get off to eat, sleep and do stuff. Sometimes in the night when I awaken I turn on my cell phone, dial up "ThruTheBible", punch in "ARCHIVES" then "DAILY PROGRAMS" and away we go. ...back to the future.  (One gets used to J. Vernon's Texas drawl and his gravelly voice.)

I love to slip under the heavy covers on my deck bed and listen to the quiet. The other night when the moon was full,  bright and beautiful,  sleep wouldn't come. All across the still valley below sounded the barking of a half dozen dogs, communicating some urgent message across the miles.  I eavesdropped on their conversation for awhile, then drifted peacefully off to sleep.

Father, help me to blank out the childish need to please people as I write.  You and I know that I am not very theological.  Thank You that Phil W., your seasoned missionary to Africa told me last night: "Jo, I read your blog because it isn't theological." I needed that.  Perhaps I am still a child who needs approval, ...or perhaps just encouragement to keep on doing what I am doing. Father, You are so sweet to me.

Shari in Kansas requests a Welsh hymn, written in 1875: "Oh, the Deep Deep Love of Jesus".

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own.
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jeus, love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean vast of blessing, 'tis a haven sweet of rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!

Send me your request. There are three ahead of you but I'll get to yours. .

Love,  Jo



ARCHIVE