Friday, May 6, 2016

STORIES

His name was Ronald MacDonald. Honest! He was a business man who attended our Houston church. Ron longed to go into the pastorate. ...so Ted encouraged his dream. Ron's wife became very ill and was hospitalized. With no medical benefits he had had as a business man, Ron was wholly dependent upon the Lord to supply his needs as a dad of several children and a very sick wife. He needed time away from the hospital so drove north to a conference for Christian workers.  Lunch time came; he sat across the table from a man who told him his name: Charlie Brown.  Charlie Brown/ Ronald MacDonald! They had a laugh.  Hospital bills were climbing through the roof;  soon it was evident that dear Mary Jo was going Home to Heaven.  Ron slept on a cot in her room and kept vigil. Early one morning came a knock on the door. There stood...CHARLIE BROWN! "Ron, come up to my office on the top floor for lunch." "Who is this guy, anyway?" wondered Ron. When he entered Charlie's office Charlie explained:  "Ron, I did not tell you when we were together for only a few minutes that I am the fund raiser for this hospital.  I have been keeping tabs on you and your wife through the doctors and nurses and I have something to tell you. Enough funds have been raised to pay for all of your bills, doctors and medications. Now, let's pray for a quiet Home going for your dear wife and praise Him together that we know where she will soon be."  Ronald MacDonald and Charlie Brown. Only the Lord could have orchestrated their meeting.  I may have missed some details of this story, but you can find those out from both Charlie Brown and Ronald MacDonald in Heaven, for there will be plenty of time there for details.

As I have become older, I have quiet time to let my soul feel the feelings of the stories that come to mind.  Now I cry nearly every day. ...mostly because of His Grace that washes over me as the memories surface. The first verse I was given when I was nineteen years old was Romans 8:28. Now the "all things that work together for good" are an actuality and not just a fuzzy hope.

Thirty-two years ago today our moving van, Ted and I rolled into Bear Valley Springs to pastor a fledgling church in this community. A dear realtor named Nancy had arranged for us to temporarily stay in a mobile home high on this mountain. She had stashed little scrolls, tied with a pretty ribbon in drawers, nooks and crannies in every room.  Inside she had painstakingly written scriptures that warmed and welcomed our souls.  Exhausted, we went to bed, fell into a deep sleep, then were jolted awake by the screeching of two raccoons duking it out in the top of a giant oak tree outside our window. Snow was softly falling and by morning a foot of the lovely stuff covered the ground.  Enchanting! The mobile home was heated by electricity. It blipped out. We had no winter coats, were hungry for breakfast, layered the clothes we had, jumped on Ted's Honda motorcycle and zoomed down, down and down to a restaurant in the little mountain town of Keene.  My Ted was always up for a new adventure and a new one had just begun! All three of his kids are just like him.  Let's see: what shall I do today? Dee is with her daughter in the Bay Area for Mother's Day. ...don't know what Jeff is doing; ...Doug and his dad may be flying around Jupiter.  Oh, the phone just rang and a person I have just met wants to come and see me. O.K.  The temperature is dropping outside. ...no snow yet, but it could happen. ...seems right, don't you think, on this,  the 32nd anniversary of the beginning of a new chapter in the "Story of Us".

Oh, yes...an update on the Identify Theft intrusion.  The Lord and my daughter have done battle with the enemy of our souls.  I don't want to think about what may be ahead.  I want to think about God's amazing grace for the eighty-seven years of my life up until this day. Why would I think for a minute that His grace has reached its limit?

                    A REALLY OLD TOE TAPPER

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus; sing His mercy and His grace.
In the mansions, bright and blessed, He'll prepare for us a place.

While we walk this pilgrim pathway clouds will overspread the sky.
But when travelling days are over, not a shadow or a sigh.

Onward to the prize before us; soon His beauty we'll behold. 
Soon the pearly gates will open; soon we'll tread the streets of gold.

WHEN WE ALL GET TO HEAVEN; WHAT A DAY OF REJOICING THAT WILL BE.
WHEN WE ALL SEE JESUS, WE'LL SING AND SHOUT THE VICTORY!

Love,  Jo



ARCHIVE