Friday, October 9, 2015

Personalities

The moon was a mere slit in the eastern sky as I awoke at 4 A.M. this morning. There were no birds up yet, but somewhere down the mountain I heard the bark of a dog. After taking in the wonder of God's stars above I went inside to fetch my cell phone, turn on the audio to the Psalms, crawl back under my warm electric blanket to listen and ponder: Why did the Lord choose musicians to write the Psalms (songs)?  Talk about your mood swings! Those fellows certainly didn't "take captive every thought" before spilling out what they were thinking and feeling.  Good!

I think that life for me, with my sensitive musician's personality would have been easier if Ted Stone hadn't been a pastor. ...but I had signed up for Romans 12:1&2,  so there ya' go. Dear Ted. ... with no mood swings and a wife whose feelings flitted, fluttered and flapped (Check out last week's blog.) around a circle as large as the rope swing's arc below my deck. One time when we had a bunch of couples here for overnight, Ted jumped on that swing (hot-dawgin'),  and for some reason, fell off. He got to his feet, looked at his hand,  two fingers were sticking straight up and all he said was: "Oh, I think I hurt myself ."  Son Jeff tells about the time when the lid of the car trunk came down on his dad's head and cut a bloody gash. All Ted muttered was, "Oh, that hurt!" Jeff's response: "That's IT?" Yep, that was "IT". ...all the way to the end of his life. ...Steady Teddy.

Early on in ministry I learned that the wife of a pastor had better bite our tongues until they bleed, take sleeping pills when we're too mad or scared to sleep,  put on a happy face when our hearts are breaking and do our best to hide our tears so our kids won't hate church and Jesus. Would I do it all again?  You bet! Scarcely a day goes by that I don't hear from some of those wonderful people who are scattered around this world. ...bearing fruit and more fruit.  ...and right here on this mountain, those He brings to me to disciple are doing the same! ...movin' on out into the community.

I end every blog with the words of an old hymn...and here is the reason:  I led worship for most of the years we were in the pastorate, choosing music that related to Ted's messages. I was so intent upon setting the right tone for his teaching that I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying. At the same time my eyes were roving over the audience to see who needed to be invited for Sunday dinner and who seemed troubled and needed to be contacted as soon as possible. My beloved Father was and still is gently teaching me to let go of trying to please everybody,  bury my perfectionist expections and simply "float" on God's thermals like the eagles and red-tailed hawks. After all, they awaken with "new strength every morning".

                      OLD HYMN:  HIS WAY WITH THEE

Would you live for Jesus and be always pure and good?
Would you walk with Him within the narrow road?
Would you have Him bear your burden, carry all your load?
Let Him have His way with thee.

Would you in His Kingdom find a place of constant rest?
Would you prove Him true in providential test?
Would you in His service labor always at your best?
Let Him have His way with thee.

HIS POW'R CAN MAKE YOU WHAT YOU OUGHT TO BE
HIS BLOOD CAN CLEANSE YOUR HEART 
AND MAKE YOU FREE. 
HIS LOVE CAN FILL YOUR SOUL AND YOU WILL SEE
'TWAS BEST FOR HIM TO HAVE HIS WAY WITH THEE.

Love,  Jo




ARCHIVE