Friday, September 18, 2015

My Partner's Faith

" '...not by might, nor by power.  but by My Spirit'.  saith the Lord."  
"We reap what we sow" 
"God is not mocked". 
"To whom much is given, much is required".

All of these bits and pieces of verses are running through my head as I come to my computer in the middle of the night to write.  No political party, in and of themselves can save us from God's judgment.  ...only repentance for our attitude of entitlement, ungratefulness and subsequent compromise.

Two weeks ago in my blog I talked about my Grandmother's Lap. Last week Jesus' Lap was the Holy Lap I wanted to talk about.  Today I want to talk to Ted. You can come with me if you like. ...or not.

Honey, we are sitting ducks, apt to believe any human being who comes along and promises to bail us out of the mess we're in. False prophet/ teachers are springing up all over the place. I am studying to keep my doctrinal head on straight, listening to theologians I trust and seeking counsel from a few people who are doing the same.  I leaned on your knowledge and your faith, but now I can't and that's a good thing.

We were a team that learned over our sixty years to pull together. ...and it was a slow process. God was long-suffering with us.  We will find out how much of our work was of eternal value when we "meet at the Seat". When first re-born, we learned and proceeded to live by this little couplet:

Only one life; 'twill soon be past. 
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Sweetheart, if I could live my life over  I would pray and study much more than talk and work harder at resting in His finished work.  I would worry less about tomorrow and live just for today.  I am left here to learn how to do all of these better.  For a calm and cool-appearing guy, you were a challenge to live with. I spent my life,  ready to pack a suitcase or a lunch, cook for two or twenty, jump into the car, a plane or hop on the back of your motorcycle, start a new Christian on their journey or a new ministry.  I counted up the ministries you pioneered and it's hard to absorb how many I came up with. I am looking at your always- smiling picture right in front of my computer. My goodness,  you were good lookin'.  I wonder how God can improve on the way He made you the first time.  My body is sagging so I had the full-length mirrors taken off of the clothes closet in our bathroom.

Today I am settled down with my new cell phone that actually speaks the Word out loud.  I like that. After all, much of what I know about the Bible, I learned from you as I listened to you teach. You never compromised the Truth. Lots of your teaching tapes have disintegrated, but the few I have are on our website. Sometimes I play them for the Thursday Girls. Today we will study Hebrews.  You would love these precious women and their husbands.  Most who come are taking the Word into the lives of others...and that's the assignment He left with us. ...then promised to "be with us always, until the end of the age." 

I will see you soon.  He isn't telling any of us what "soon" means, although some seem to think they know. Until then, this little Sunday School ditty reminds me that:

                                   THIS IS THE DAY

This is the day; this is the day that the Lord hath made; that the Lord hath made.
I will rejoice, I will rejoice and be glad in Him; and be glad in Him.
This is the day that the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in Him.
THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HATH MADE.

I love you.

Jo


ARCHIVE