Friday, May 22, 2015

No super-saint

I took my eyes off of Jesus and got scared and nearly sank into depression at times lately. Satan, using the world and my flesh knows exactly how to get me distracted.  From scripture study I know that God judges nations whose leadership refuses to fall on their faces, craving His mercy, forgiveness and guidance.  I often go into fretting mode, thinking of what is ahead for this nation, then after wallowing around in that muck and mire, remember to pray and trust Him.  ...then there is the other hook the evil one uses to lure me into "seeing through a glass even more darkly": an unresolved personal relationship with someone whose respect I desire.  God is so patient with me as I am on the home stretch of my race.  He, the Author and Finisher of my Faith is insisting that I "throw off all that hinders and fix my eyes only upon Him".

I am so blessed. ...so very blessed.  There are my family and friends that I love and pray for who prayerfully and financially support me.  There are all of you who call, text and Email to tell me what the Lord is doing in and through your lives.  I have many hours alone that make me vulnerable to over thinking, and over analyzing situations. My personality is one that easily slips into melancholy...the precursor to depression.  I have started singing the old hymns toward the end of the day and disciplining myself to memorize scripture when my flesh wants to watch television or Netflix. I did not realize as a younger woman that I would need to be even more disciplined toward the end of my life.

             "What have I to dread? What have I to fear? Leaning on the Everlasting Arms." 

Oh, dear Paul.  He suffered.  Had he not, we would not have God's Words through him, through David, through other chosen writers of scripture who lived in the reality that on this earth  "You will have tribulation, but be of good cheer.  I have overcome the world."

Well, this was another of those impressive,  highly intellectual, doctrinally-stuffed blogs with life-changing truths. There are plenty of theologians who write those, but I am not one of  'em.

Right now, it is time to hit the road with Bootsie, my Walking Cat.   Puss'n? He is stretched out full length on my bed, upside down, feet in air. ...all sixteen pounds of him. This winter's fat will still be on him come next winter.

"Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?  It is God Who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus Who died--more than that,  Who was raised to life--Who is at the right hand of God, and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble, or hardships or persecution, or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?  For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered. No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, neither angels, nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God, that is in Christ Jesus our Lord". Romans 8:31-39.

Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE