Friday, December 12, 2014

Sam

We had pastored (and I make no apology about saying "we")  a redemptive church for over a decade in Bakersfield, California.  The American Sunday School Union missionary Boyntons had established Fruitvale Community Church after many children and their parents had come to know Jesus.  Widowed Mabel Boynton knew they needed a Bible teacher. Ted, our two boys and a pregnant wife/mother moved from our beloved Palo Alto to Bakersfield in 1959 with a passion to build a church by new-believer growth just as our dear mentor Ray Stedman had taught us to do. We squeaked through for a loan on a brand new house miles from the church in what was then a newly developing part of the city.  The builder/realtor, Bob Watson who sold us our home was not a believer.  A few years later he walked through the door of our country church with his wife and family and all came to Christ.

Settled into our new home, I waddled down our street and became acquainted with a neighbor named Diane,  a runaway Christian, eager to be restored to the Lord and His Word.  I only knew something about the Book of Ephesians.so we started to study it verse by verse. One week Diane invited her sister who brought her friend Ann, an avid patriot who knew everybody on the City Counsel, every John Birch Society member and most of the business leaders in town.  (Didn't we meet  "Ann"  in Philippi?   Her name was "Lydia" who opened the door for the Gospel to Europe.)  Soon Diane's friends knew Jesus and began to come and bring their families to our little church. Determined not to allow our fledgling flock to become a "Homesteader" church  we pressed them to "Go and make disciples".  Ann and husband Bob began to serve waffle brunches after church in their home,  inviting the people they knew in the city. We joined them,  sitting around five or six round tables in their small living room. Soon the waffle people began to stream through the doors of our church, bringing with them the friends they were leading to Christ.  Then,  along  came the Jesus Movement. Hundreds came to Christ and moved out all over our city and to the uttermost parts of the earth. They still are.  Some are in Heaven.  I wonder if they have seen Ted?  There are so many things I wonder about, but maybe not for long.   I will be 86 on Sunday.

Sometime in the mid-70's, .the Christmas musicals, plays and church doin's were over and Christmas Day arrived....on a Sunday as I recall.  I looked around the congregation and saw many that I knew might be lonely that day. As people filed by us when church was over I invited some to drop by our home in the afternoon.  Fifty people showed up!  About a year ago I received a call from a man we shall call "Sam".  "Hi, Jo.  I found your blog on the web. I asked Jesus into my heart when I was a boy growing up in your church. I have been away from Him for a very long time but He has welcomed me back into the fold.  Many years ago you invited my family to your home for Christmas afternoon.  Since my return to Him, the Lord has given me the ministry of intercessory prayer.  How may I pray for you?"

There were five of  us around my table for Thanksgiving:  Dee, Brent, Lexi, Carla (Son Jeff was in Philadelphia with their daughter Lauren)... and me.  Friday morning Carla left to return to Sacramento/Granite Bay and I was anticipating the let-down that sets in since Ted left for Glory. ...then came a call from Sam. "I am in the area. Would it be all right if  I drop by to see you?"  Much later Sam left for his home to the north, after we enjoyed warmed-over Thanksgiving dinner, memories,  laughter, prayer and worship.  Sam:  ...this now middle-aged  "angel unawares"  that was part of a crowd that showed up at our home on a Christmas Day in the 70's. The Lord admonishes us in Hebrews 13:2 to:  "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." 

                                     "I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY" 

,,,and in despair I bowed my head; "There is no peace on earth," I said.
"For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fall, the right prevail with peace on earth, good-will to men."

Love, Jo




..

ARCHIVE