Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Rants and Raves

There are so many things about which I could rant and rave in this blog. My life began in a family that did that. ...about everything.   My parents were not believers; therefore there was never any hope given.   I was a scared little girl.  I don't want to be a scared old girl.  I told you last week that my Ted's soul made decisions as a young boy when he did not have a vocabulary to express them.  So did mine. "When I grow up I will not be critical, cynical  or bitter."  I, like you have suffered many disappointments that could make me give in to being all three.

I married a gentle man whose muscles rippled as he pitched a hard ball toward the batters.  "Those muscles will protect me all my life."  ...but Ted's muscles could not protect us from the kinds of battles we would face separately and together.  "Now that we are Christians there won't be any more wicked people to deal with."  Note last week's blog:  The fox blends right into the very dog pack that is chasing him. Sadly, right smack in the middle of safe-appearing ministries.  "Our children will be as excited about winning souls as we are".   How could they be?  They did not come from utter darkness as did we.  I could rant and rave about the legal murder of fifty-five million babies since Roe vs. Wade.  I feel the rumbles of a rave coming on when it comes all over me that we Christians are the ones being forced to be tolerant toward militant Islam whose agenda is to kill us all, the infidels,  ...in the name of Allah.  We must not be openly angry that homosexuality is rampant. ...socially, legally and politically heralded as a God-given right.  Nor must we remonstrate about our school children being required to believe there is no God, the Bible is merely myths and evolution is fact.  I could rant and rave about pastors who tell millions of people that God wants them to be wealthy and happy. Oh, may the millions of starving people in other countries not have access to TV or the internet to hear such heresy.  I don't hear those sermons from faithful pastors in small churches and communities. Will the millions of professing Christians in this country come out of their mole holes where they huddle together, hearing the same message again and again and sitting on it as they give money in the offering plate to support an ever growing staff that does the work they should be doing themselves?  Could the church of the Lord Jesus Christ be powerful enough to stay the hand of God's judgment?  I seem to recall that God changed his mind about judging somebody 'way back there in the Old Testament.  Are we counting on a new balance of power in Washington to cause God to withhold His anger?

 "Our God is slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.  He will not always strive with us nor will He keep His anger forever."  Add to that warning:  "To whom much has been given, much is required". 

My long-time friend Nick at Round Top, Texas calls me a "stand-up woman".  Nick studies people and everything else that interests him.  Probably in my Irish genes are generations of stand-up women.  I guess God knew I would survive  after Ted left for Heaven so He left me here to carry on our assignment: to go and make disciples.  ...and then He took my son who left three children who need him so desperately.  I had lunch with gorgeous seventeen-year-old Madi Jane, his youngest, yesterday.  Madi and I talked about the wonderful Thanksgivings at Grandma and Grandpa's home when for years all fourteen of us gathered around our table and six grandchildren raced through this big house, playing "Ghosts in the Graveyard" and hide-and-seek outside with flashlights. Madi is still convinced that she and Lauren saw a mountain lion up on the hill where they were hiding.  ...and actually, they may have. 

Life on this earth is rife with losses. How do we bear those losses without bitterness against God and people? ...by disciplining our mind to bring every fear-based thought into captivity and "Rejoice in the Lord always; I will say it again: 'Rejoice'! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving,  present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers,  whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent, praiseworthy--think on such things". 

Paul reflects on his life on this earth this way: "But whatever things were gain to me those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. ...in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but rubbish in order that I might gain Christ."

I will keep on giving God's Word to a handful of woman and some men, expecting them to do something with it instead of piling on more doctrinal knowledge without legs on it.  I will keep on fighting against the evil one through God's infallible Word for couples and families who continue to come through my doors, my phone and my internet.   "Stand-up women"  have to be reminded by our gentle Jesus to let Him fight for us. Ted tapped into I Samuel 17:47 early on:  "...for the battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands."  There has never been any hope except in the Powerful Cross, the  Powerful Resurrection and the Powerful Word of God.  ...and there never will be. ...and that's just the way the Lord wants it. "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit,",  saith the Lord.

There is power, power, wonder-working power in the blood of the Lamb
There is power, power, wonder-working power in the precious blood of the Lamb.


Love,  Jo

ARCHIVE