Friday, June 13, 2014

I didn't mean to lie.

I told you last week that I don't have arthritis, but have "computer-itis".  X-rays, however, do not lie. When my doctor viewed them, these were his words: "It is what it is:  Degenerative Arthritis. You will live with it."  He prescribed drugs. Kindly restrain yourself from sending me the name of your chiropractor, herbalist, or divine healer.  I have "beaten my body into submission" all my life. It's pay-back time. Just in case my back pain has increased because of my curvy computer chair,  I threw it down the stairs and enjoyed watching its parts scatter in every direction. A friend carted it off in his truck to computer-chair hell. ...a beautiful sight!  On the sidewalk in front of an office supply store I spotted a simple little straight chair on sale for thirty-nine bucks.  I am sitting on it as I write.  My back is happier.  Life and the blog will go on.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, mind your own business and work with your hands"  are His thrumming words to me. For most of my life I couldn't get off the wheel that spun 24/7.  Now I can. ...but I keep forgetting that I have the privilege.  My back reminds me.

Last Thursday the fabulous Going Romans Women sprawled on and sat all around my big ol'  king-size bed.  We reveled in Psalm 37:4.  This Thursday I'm moving and sitting without pain.. Thank you, drugs and Jesus. Please, no sermons about drugs. I've preached 'em all to others.  We will be back in my living room this week and verse-by verse Romans 8.  We will move closer to His Holy Bosom.  Did you know that the meaning of  "El Shaddai" is:  "The strong-breasted One?"

I am sleeping on my deck at night.  In the mornings just before the sun appears over the mountain to the east, the bats zing over my head in a frantic fly-over before creeping into their hiding places and sleeping until dusk.  Of course some of them find a way into my house.  Toward evening their alarm clock goes off and they come out and flit around.  Puss'n Boots leap and catch them in the air,  but they wouldn't think of eating those ugly black critters.  The choice I must make?  ...bugs or bats.  A gopher snake slithered across my driveway the other day. The gophers have built a city the size of Dallas under my flower beds.  They eat the gopher bait like it's candy. That five-footer has a guaranteed-with benefits summer job.  I don't like snakes, but in all five cities in which we lived we had lots of them. ...with two legs. Some of those live here too but I have learned to spot 'em before they bite me.  Little birds in the oaks are chirping.  Hootie, the owl, announces that his day job of sleeping is about to begin. The crows, blue jays and woodpeckers are still snoozing, needing more rest for their more prestigious job of screaming, squawking and pecking.  A jet stream high above makes me snuggle deeper into my cozy bed, happy not to have to travel any more.  Down below two young bucks move through the high grass, eyeballing Bootsie Cat, the Mighty Hunter as he sits motionless,  waiting  to feel a slight tremor under his feet, announcing that a gopher head is about to pop up. That head and other body parts will soon be deposited on my doorstep. The full moon went over the mountain a few minutes ago and the stars have disappeared until dusk.  ...the stars appearing to be next-door neighbors that are actually trillions of miles apart. (What IS man that Thou are mindful of us?)

 It's time for breakfast.  Remember the story a couple of weeks ago about the chimney sweeps?  This week, the owner of the business, Darryl sent me two jars of his homemade pomegranate jelly. Slathered on a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter? ...nothin' better to kick start another day.

I must make adjustments in the way I do everything, for I do not want to cause any more pain for my dear daughter, son-in-law and others.  I am using Ted's rolling walker that has a handy-dandy basket attached for toting stuff around the house. Perhaps by being wise his wheelchair can remain in the storeroom. Jeff, Carla, Dee and Brent will move my upstairs office down to the middle floor next weekend. Yes, I feel a loss about that for that many-windowed room opens to breathtakingly beautiful Bear Mountain.  Some of you may be wondering why I don't sell my big home and buy a smaller one. That option may be ahead, but not yet.  I must face what I can no longer do without further damaging my back and hire the help I need.  God will provide.  The generation behind us cannot understand how we older ones feel when we let go of the way we were.  Did I understand my parents' feelings?  Of course not.

The words of this grand old hymn are very comforting and true:  "He Giveth More Grace".

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater;
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase
To added affliction He addeth His mercy
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

HIS LOVE HAS NO LIMIT; HIS GRACE HAS NO MEASURE
HIS POWER HAS NO BOUNDARY KNOWN UNTO MEN
FOR OUT OF HIS INFINITE RICHES IN JESUS
HE GIVETH AND GIVETH AND GIVETH AGAIN.

You have prayed and cared and I am grateful.

Love,  Jo






ARCHIVE