Thursday, November 28, 2013

My blob


A sweet lady wrote me:  "I so enjoy reading your blob!"  I have been chuckling ever since. Lord, may today's "blob" bring glory to You, at this Thanksgiving season.

Ted was the first in his family to come to Christ. The next was his younger brother, Art.  As I write, Art is slipping away to Heaven by way of a brain tumor, exactly as Ted's earthly life was taken. Art's wife Bobbie tells me that he is seeing Ted and Doug in Heaven, along with her parents, a room full of others and angels that are all "beautiful''.  I believe it. Ted experienced previews of Heaven.

My remaining precious family gained comfort and encouragement from one another as we gathered for an early Thanksgiving this past weekend.  Our son Jeff is a called-by-God psychologist. Because he counsels many people in ministry, as well as students who are preparing for ministry and a cross-section of humanity, I confer with him about many situations in my own life and the lives of those the Lord sends me to counsel. Last weekend, I asked Jeff if I am "normal" (...a loaded question!) in my desires to understand where I have been for the purpose of recognizing God's faithfulness throughout my life-in-Christ.  He refused to respond to the word "normal", but he did say this: "Mom, not every personality wants to think of the yesterdays, but you do. You are getting the 'whole picture', as best you can, and that's a good thing."  I needed that encouragement from my dear son.

I am remembering that many times I have been "overwhelmed", then "overruled",  and then "overjoyed". Paul's thorn-in-the-flesh was never removed from him. ...for these reasons: 1) to keep him from becoming conceited; 2) that he might discover more deeply the grace of God; 3) that he might revel in the power of God that was "made perfect in his weakness". Paul claimed no credit for himself, therefore, but gave all the glory for His amazingly fruitful life to God Himself.

In the midst of our feelings of overwhelmingness it is not easy to offer to the Lord a "sacrifice of Praise", but when we thank Him in the midst of the pain and think on what is "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and excellent" the peace of God which transcends all understanding will, in time, bring us overwhelming JOY.

                Thank you, Lord, for You are good and your love will endure forever!
                                             
                                            OLD HYMN: BLESSED QUIETNESS

Joys are flowing like a river since the Comforter has come
He abides with us forever, makes the trusting heart His home.

What a wonderful salvation, where we always see His face!
What a peaceful habitation! What a quiet resting-place.

BLESSED QUIETNESS, HOLY QUIETNESS, BLEST ASSURANCE IN MY SOUL
ON THE STORMY SEA JESUS SPEAKS TO ME, AND THE BILLOWS CEASE TO ROLL.

Love, Jo


ARCHIVE