Saturday, June 15, 2013

Cool it, Jo

This is one of those days when I miss Ted so much I think I would rather lie down and die. ...but of course I probably won't.  I will get through it with Jesus' comfort,  and go on to the next thing. I became so exhausted from life and ministry a few weeks ago that like Elisha,  I looked for a juniper tree under which  I could hide from everything and everyone that was scaring me.  Sometimes we simply need rest, sleep, spiritual refilling, and exercise.  Some of us "think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think" and resist taking a break lest people figure out they can get along without us. Our Jesus is beckoning us to lie down and pour out everything that is taxing our soul and listen to His counsel;  not anybody else's, including our own.

One of Ted's finest character traits was that he learned early on to pace himself. He reminded me often to do the same, but I just couldn't quite keep my gait slow and steady for very long at a time. Getting old has its advantage.  Something is usually aching, reminding me to slow down!

I want to tell you about another characteristic I respected about Ted Stone. He wouldn't give up. ...on anything! His agenda might hide under the radar for awhile, but before long, there he was again, relentlessly pushing against the gates of hell that threatened to prevail against God's beloved Church. Every virtue has a vice, however. I think that he might have been wise to walk away from a skirmish before the blood began to spill. ...but then my timing has been off in such matters. ...recently, as a matter of fact.

Right now I am reading J. Vernon McGee's last written commentary before cancer took him Home: "The Through the Bible Series".  In his lesson the other day he admitted that more than once he stepped out of the pulpit, puffed up like a balloon as people swarmed around him, telling him how amazing his message had been. ...then no sooner had he and Mrs. McGee settled in their car for the drive home than she stuck a pointy pin in his balloon.  J. Vernon declared that every man needs such a good wife. Chuck Swindoll says it this way: "Every pulpit man needs accountability lest we begin to believe all our own stuff".

Here's a Tedism:  "The path to a good marriage or any other relationship is strewn with humiliation."  Well, we both endured many humiliations. Countless times our Lord reminded us that "Without Him, we can do nothing."

I attend at least two churches,  cautiously dipping one oar in at a time lest I become the deign of the present pastor: a know-it-all former pastor's wife.  I encourage pastors and wives because I know how very much they need and deserve it. Whatever they can gain from me they are entitled to until that day when I "...lay down my burden, down by the riverside and study war no more". Those  black slaves really knew how to sing from their souls, didn't they?  Some of us white folk didn't even know we had a soul until we reached middle age.  ...and we get to sing and sing and sing with each other in Heaven. ...and we will sing with white-robed martyred saints who suffered  indescribable death for the Saviour. I was just reading about the Prophet Isaiah, whose assignment spanned  the reign of four kings. At the end of his life, he was strung between two trees and sawn in two. ...talk about your warm-fuzzy farewell funeral service!

If you have a pastor who is faithfully serving God, please be kind to him.  I can nearly guarantee that at least one day recently he has been swatting at pesky gnats that swarm around his head, burrow  into his ears and land in his eyeballs.  ...so hug him and don't bug him.

Here's an oldie:

My Savior comes and walks with me, and sweet communion here have we
He gently leads me by His hand, for this is Heaven's borderland.

O BEULAH LAND, SWEET BEULAH LAND! AS ON THY HIGHEST MOUNT I STAND
I LOOK AWAY ACROSS THE SEA WHERE MANSIONS ARE PREPARED FOR ME
AND VIEW THE SHINING GLORY-SHORE
MY HEAV'N, MY HOME FOREVERMORE.

Love,

Jo





ARCHIVE