Friday, May 31, 2013

12stoneslegacy.com

I have a stack of Ted's devotionals that he wrote when we were in our first pastorate for fifteen years at Fruitvale Community Church in Bakersfield, California.  Now I am finally ready to share with you some of the treasures from the mind and heart of my dear husband who pastored so many. Next week I will begin to include excerpts from his daily writings. Meanwhile, you may listen to Ted's actual voice broadcasting some of his devotionals on 12stoneslegacy.com or in iTunes. He went Home to Heaven before he could finish broadcasting all he wrote so I will be inserting snippets from the rest of his thoughts in the coming months in this blog. Of course my perspective will intrude into his. ...but then it always has. Why stop now?

We began our first pastorate in 1959 at Fruitvale Community with a handful of humble people who believed God for great things. After predictable adjustments in a new pastorate, the era of the "Jesus Movement" set in.  Teenagers and adults were coming to Christ all over our city and from coast to coast. Since most of our people were new Christians, we were short on disciplers, but we had learned through three years of the best possible training in discipleship under Ray Stedman to "turn people loose with what they know." This mode of thinking was so freeing after years of conditioning that "Only the professionally trained should be trusted to teach the Bible". ...not unlike the papacy.

We have not experienced such a dramatic visitation from the Wind of the Spirit since the 60's and 70's and are we ever ready!  I think if that doesn't happen, Ed Underwood, one of our "Jesus Movement 'boys' ", now the beloved, seasoned pastor of Church of the Open Door in Glendora, California will be hauled into prison for disturbing the peace with his escalating pleadings to the Lord for another Jesus Movement.  He hears our cry, dear Ed.

There may not be a visible revival such as we experienced in the 60's and early 70's, but our Lord is gathering a Harvest around this world.  I have been cautious about believing the stunning reports about the many that are coming to Christ.  ...but then the Lord will press into my awareness evidences I cannot doubt. Technology is taking the Gospel into places never before reached with the Truth of the love of Christ. It is becoming increasingly evident that Satan has stepped up his  program of terrorizing fear. At the same time it is evident that the Spirit of God has stepped up His program of freeing love. I met a former Muslim just this past weekend. ...and just when the Lord knew my heart needed encouraging.

Most of us evangelicals believe that He is coming in the clouds to take us Home, but I cannot forget what those two angels in Acts 1:11 clearly told us: "Don't stand and gaze up into Heaven; go about our Father's business of redemption before He comes to fetch us Home."  The Holy Spirit had been given to believers and Jesus had ascended into a shekinah glory cloud. ...one such as had filled the Tabernacle. When Jesus was born into this world, He was wrapped in swaddling clothes. When He left this earth He was wrapped in glory clouds. In this beautiful way,  He returned to the Father's Right Hand. We will be greeted like royalty, which is what He declares that we are. Sinners, true, but redeemed sinners, clothed in His righteousness. 

Ted used to say, and as I write this, a chill is going up and down my back: "Somewhere on this planet, the last one that will join the family of the Redeemed will say 'Yes' to Christ and the Lord will say: "I'm wrappin' it up!  Come on HOME!' "

Yes, come, Lord Jesus, but there are some others I know who do not know You yet, and I so want them to...

"Come to the water, stand by my side
I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied
I felt every teardrop when in darkness you cried,
And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died."

Jesus, I give You my heart and my soul
I know that without God I'd never be whole
Savior, You opened all the right doors
and I thank You and praise You from earth's humble shores
Take me, I'm Yours.

...and Jesus said, "Come to the water, stand by my side
I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied
I felt every teardrop when in darkness you cried,
And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died."

Love,

Jo

ARCHIVE