Saturday, March 16, 2013

The pondering bench

I was alone as a little farm girl.  I spent hours sitting by the fishing hole, pondering. I had so many questions but I didn't know how to verbalize them. I still have questions....but not so many.  Bootsie, my cuddle-cat,  and I sit on the bench at the curve in our road and watch the deer zipping across the mountain above us. ...and ponder.

On a beautiful sunny day this week I climbed for the first time in months to the giant oak under which Ted's gravestone rests. "To God Be the Glory",  it reads. Nearly three decades ago we came to this mountain to build a church. There were few people and very few Christians. Ted and I sat in the swing many times under that oak, scanning the valley below, praying that God would make Himself known to the people who were gradually moving into this lovely place. My emotional and physical health began to return. We were at home, and I knew it! ... but the enemy did not want a witness for Christ in this valley and the war he waged was viscious.  This week, on that sunny day under the giant oak, my heart lifted in joyous praise to our Lord, for now there are many who live here who know that they belong to the Lord Jesus Christ and more are on their way to Him.  I just know it! 

Ted and I not only shared in raising our own family but our eternal family extends 'way out to other continents.  Two wonderful women into whose lives we were infused years ago  in Bakersfield, just left after an overnight visit, soothing hours of sharing, and worship time together in His Word.

As my Jesus brings younger people to me with the same questions I once had when I pondered beside the fishing hole on our farm,  He gives me His amazing love for them that drew me into His arms when I has nineteen years old. Are you drawing broken people into your arms? Yours may be the only safe arms they have ever felt around them.

Once a month, I will include in this blog the simple Gospel: the "way" into Jesus' arms. If you are nudged by the Holy Spirit to forward that blog to your friends, do it! Countless people, even millions,  are coming to Christ around our world now because of the powerful ways we have to communicate the Gospel. Don't succumb to the evil one's scare tactics.

I am thinking of just a couple of phrases from an old hymn: "Safe in the Arms of Jesus"

Safe in the arms of Jesus, Safe on His gentle breast
There by His love o'ershaded; sweetly my soul shall rest.

Until we are safely on His gentle breast in Heaven, invite into your arms someone who does not feel safe anywhere on this earth.  Give them hope that there is a Father in Heaven Who desires desperately to be their Daddy.   Forever.

Love, Jo


ARCHIVE