Saturday, December 8, 2012

Raggin' on Saul again

I don't know whether or not Saul will be in Heaven because I'm not God. I think Saul was a jerk, but who cares what I think? I don't even care what I think sometimes, but  I do know this: I had better be mighty sure of my facts, studied over a long period of time before I shoot off my mouth with my opinions about anyone or anything.  I have been so wrong at times with my premature conclusions and have influenced other people when I should have refused comment, or  even to give half an ear to anyone else's.

My preferred style of communication is personal and direct:  no Emails,  facebook, texts (certainly not texts) or even phone conversations if it is possible to talk personally with the person from whom I need clarification. I had such a clarifying conversation with a long-time, dear friend today.  I should have called him weeks ago, but I did not want to be entangled in the mess that surrounds him.  By not getting clarification from the horse's mouth, I have added fuel to a smoldering fire by listening to other peoples' viewpoints.  They don't have full knowledge about the situation. Nobody does, and this side of the Judgment Seat, nobody will. At that time all the motives will be fully revealed and all the actions assessed by our Righteous Judge. The beautimous final statement in the paragraph that addresses that subject in I Corinthians 4:1-5 is: "At that time each will receive his praise from God!"  Hang on to that one for dear life for the times when you dread the Judgment Seat of Christ. Hit the "delete" button when  you fret about it and remember Romans 8:1: "There is no no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  You bet our Lord is going to have an eyeball-to-eyeball conversation with us during those seven years, but remember that it can't be all bad because at the same time,  there is going to be a sumptuous dinner going on, with our name etched on a card above a solid gold place setting. I envision Heavenly Servants making sure we are comfortably seated with a clear view of our King at the head of the Table that stretches a bazillion miles into Infinity.

 I will be 84 on Friday of this week. I would think that I would have "put away childish things" by not shooting my whole wad at anyone who hints at wanting my opinion;  however I am still being squeezed, hammered and shaped into something reasonably acceptable for the Master's use. He has entrusted me with a lot; therefore I am required to live up to a lot and I believe there's a scripture somewhere about that.

We had better dislodge the snarls of tangled cords that wrap around our ankles hindering our race to the finish line.  I wait too long to do that at times. I get to thinking more highly of myself than I ought to think, become smug (because I am so old and wise) and give advise that no one with any sense would follow. It's a tough assignment to be old. Some days I long for the alternative, but then the next day I ask God to forget I thought that because looming on the horizon is something that looks like it could be worth sticking around for.

O.K., back to Saul. On earth when he was backed in a corner, he resorted to double-talk and subterfuge in an attempt to camouflage his conduct (I Samuel 15:14-15). Read the account if you want to. My point in ragging on Saul's character (or the lack thereof) is this: I need to watch and observe for a very long time about people before I draw a  conclusion as to whether or not to trust them. I was warned as a young person:  "Be sure your sins will find you out." ...uh...yep! Saul's did!

There is a  (albeit remote)  possibility that none of this blog applies to anything going on in your life. Well, good for you, but there is the possibility that it applies to someone or something that is driving you nuts right now.

                  HYMN OF THE WEEK:  GUIDE ME, O THOU GREAT JEHOVAH

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah. Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty. Hold me with Why powerful hand
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven
Feed me 'til I want no more; feed me 'til I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain, whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar lead me all my journey through
Strong deliverer, strong Deliverer; be Thou still my strength and shield,
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

Love, Jo




ARCHIVE