Saturday, December 17, 2011

One in Purpose

Sixty-two years ago today, two 21-year-old kids from Kansas walked down the aisle of Edina, Minnesota Covenant Church and became one in flesh and one-in-purpose forever. Our decision to serve Christ had already cost us both of our birth families who were not then able to understand the depth of meaning to the words of Christ to Nicodemus in John 3: "You must be born again." ... then began a 60-year adventure together that continues to unfold for me without my partner who is with his Bridegroom in Heaven.
Ted Stone was a visionary. Years ago, sons Jeff and Doug bought a little stick figure in a sports store with a football tucked under his left arm, right arm extended out front and both legs pumping toward the goal line.
Our sons replaced the football with a Bible. That was Ted. ...For six decades. I huffed and puffed alongside him, trying to keep up, filling in the blanks that all visionaries seem never to anticipate. Since Ted has been in Heaven, I have been handed the gift of settling into my own stride.
Wednesday was my 83rd birthday. My Jesus and I were starting out our day together as usual in His Word, when this came to me from His Spirit: "Your grandson, Luke, is a re-run of Ted in personality: gentle, kind, persevering, hard working; all at a measured, steady gait." That was my first birthday gift that day.
Then came the next: At noon, a most unusual assortment of women who have been studying with me in Philippians, gathered for an elegant Italian birthday luncheon at Pam's beautiful home. I was so humbled by the honoring. We had an hilarious time. You will meet them all in Heaven.
The day ended with dinner at daughter Dee's home with grandson Luke. I asked him for five minutes alone with him and there I gave him the staggering newsflash I had received early that morning: "Lukie, you are so very like your grandfather Ted in personality." "Really, Grandma?" "Yes, Luke, what an amazing future you have been handed". The nineteen-year-old is probably still traumatized, wondering how he will ever fill those big shoes of the grandpa he loved. He will. He will. .. . in his God-ordained, unique way.
Then came the final gift of the day: a call from son Jeff in Sacramento. "Mom, last night I told my students at William Jessup University, 'Tomorrow my mother will be 83. The next day she will teach teenagers in the Book of John.' They burst out laughing, Mom. Do you know how unusual you are?" "No, I don't", I replied. "I don't hang out with 83-year olds so I don't get what you are saying at all." ...then Jeff said this and I am somewhat hesitant to tell you, "Mom, I am so proud of you. We finished our class with your life verse: 'Even when I am old and gray do not forsake me, O God 'till I declare your power to the next generation; your might to all who are to come.'" (Psalm 71:18) ...and THAT, dear friends, was the icing on my birthday cake.
How long do I have to bring the Word of God to the next generations before I join my Ted and my son, Doug whose sudden homegoing stunned us all last May? I do not know, but when you hear that I have been gathered Home to my Father, rejoice.
...and now I will give in to the anniversary tears that are pressing against my eyelids.
Jo

ARCHIVE