Friday, January 16, 2015

Snarls

I so look foward to seeing Jesus. He gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of God and our Father.

Right out of the chute in Genesis the emotional roller coaster begins.  I agonize with every mother whose kids have hated and murdered each other, every woman who was ripped away from all that she has known and watches as her man pounds their tent pegs into the hard ground of unfamiliar territory; whose husband sleeps with his concubines and maids even if she has encouraged it and it's lawful.  I even agonize with Eve about the grief she endured when one son killed the other, though she brought it on herself.

I remember a hot summer day when our Doug was fifteen and Jeff was eleven. Like most brothers they were wrestling.  Jeff was no match for his big, muscular brother. I called Ted at his office and screamed at him:   "You've got five minutes to get home and take over raising these boys! I've never been a man and I don't know how to make one!  If Doug kills Jeff, it's your fault!  I quit!" Ted came home.

What a mess it has been since Paradise was lost. I remember well as a young fisherwoman how frustrating it was to cast out my line only to have it "birdcage"  into a tangled ball of filament. Finally in frustration I would just cut the line. God hasn't cut the line yet, but He will. Once He sent a flood that drowned all but eight people. Next time He will swoop a remnant into a safe ark in the clouds while the left-behind world attempts to unsnarl the mess man has brought upon himself. He has given man every opportunity to repent, be forgiven and clothed in the righteousness of Christ.

..and now, Lord, what's the next step for me?  I will wait upon You before I cast my line. .

Guide me Oh, Thou Great Jehovah; Pilgrim thro' this barren land
I am weak, but Thou art miighty, Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, feed me 'til I want no more!

Open now the crystal fountain whence the healing waters flow
Let the fiery, cloudy pillar lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

Love, Jo


ARCHIVE