Saturday, August 17, 2013

Affirmation junkie

I am an "affirmation junkie."  My "love language" is words. I believe that the Body of Christ is sorely deficient about giving words of encouragement and affirmation to brothers and sisters about observed Christ-like character traits.  Hebrews 10:24 and 25 underscore my conviction.  For instance,  I love being able to sincerely tell someone that they have a "kind heart".  I know it is Jesus Who gives them that "kind heart", but Geez Louise! Telling some Christian who is being discouraged every day in this alien world that they have a "kind heart" can give them the desire to keep on coping for one more day.

I didn't want to reveal any of the ugly stuff  about my past in my blog last week. As usual, I questioned my motives until I nearly wore myself to a frazzle. A Ted-ism helped me:  "Even when we give a cup of cold water, we dangle our dirty finger in the cup!" Now, there's a leveler!  Only at the Judgment Seat will any of our true motives be revealed and He tells us that in I Corinthians 4: 5: "At that time each will receive his praise from God."  I love that word "praise"! ...from our Father!

I have been and still am a counselor to couples. I know that premarital sex causes mistrust between partners after marriage. Ted and I had enough struggles in coming to any semblance of "oneness" without beating ourselves up over being that indulgent.  I hurt so for today's generation who have bought into Satan's lies about how satisfying premarital sex is.  Some of the teenagers I have been teaching have already had sex, had abortions or are stressing over whether or not to raise their baby or give it up for adoption.  Some of their mothers are having sex in the bedroom right next to theirs with someone other than their marriage partner. What is a kid supposed to do with that? Some are very close to crossing the line into homosexuality. As of this week our Governor has made it legal for boys and girls to share one another's restrooms at school.  Oh, whoopee!

By June of this year, my stomach was tied up in knots and I wanted to hang up my discipleship assignment and sit and watch the acorns fall off the trees. ...but I won't. I have rested, studied and prayed and will begin on September 5 to teach the Book of Romans to mothers only. I have told them: "This is the deal:  You can come only if you are committed to taking what you are learning and teaching your kids and anyone else who will listen. Memorize II Timothy 2:2. That will be your regular assignment."

Last week, I left you in the little church in Manhattan, Kansas, where I asked Christ to forgive my sins and come into my heart and change me. Several months later, Mr. Nelson, one of the adult men in this unusual little group of mostly students sprinkled with a handful of adults, invited me to go to a Conference at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. I had never heard of Moody Bible Institute and didn't know what a "Conference" was, but it sounded like a party to me. I had no idea that I would never return to the state of Kansas or to my life as it had been. We walked into that Moody auditorium which was packed with Christians from around the world. Behind the podium stood thirty-year-old Billy Graham, fast becoming known in Christian circles, but I hadn't been hanging around in "Christian circles",  except for the little Sunday morning fellowship in Manhattan, Kansas. Billy had spoken there several times but I had no idea he was anybody special. Half way through the Conference, Mr. Nelson invited me to lunch with Billy.  There we were in a lovely dining room on the top floor of a snazzy hotel.  Billy, even then a man of action, came right to the point: "Jo Ann, Mr. Nelson has been watching you. What you do not know is that he is a member of my Youth for Christ Board.  He believes you are worth an investment. I am inviting you to the Bible college in Minneapolis, Minnesota where I am now President. I will make sure you do not owe any tuition for a year and Mr. Nelson will help you with expenses. We do not think it is safe for you to return to Kansas."

Boy Howdy! Were they ever right about that! Those guys in the athletic department where I was working at Kansas State College were lookin' pretty good. Now, think on this: I had had few words of guidance, protection or encouragement. Here were two men who had nothing to gain by throwing me a rope of hope and they thought I was "worth an investment".  I flew the next day from Chicago to Minneapolis, was met by Billy's staff people and the next day, they launched me into the first day of the rest of my life. I left a disapproving family back in Kansas and a bewildered boyfriend named Ted Stone in the Navy in Memphis, Tennessee.

I do want to tell you about this good and powerful message my parents modeled when I was growing up:  "If you want to eat, you work!"  Thank you, Mother and Dad.

Next week: A very strange, new world.

                                                  HE IS ABLE TO DELIVER

He is able to deliver thee, O sinner; See, your life is in His hand
Thus you live at His command; He's the source of good, the ever blessed Giver

HE IS ABLE; HE IS ABLE TO DELIVER THEE

Love,
Jo




                

ARCHIVE