Saturday, November 3, 2012

Crossing the River


Gloria and Bill Gaither have written this century's finest worship lyrics, in my opinion. The third verse of "Because He Lives"  won't leave me alone.  Good.

...and then one day I'll cross the riverl I'll fight life's final war with pain
And then as death gives way to victory, I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives!
BECAUSE HE LIVES I CAN FACE TOMORROW
BECAUSE HE LIVES ALL FEAR IS GONE
BECAUSE I KNOW HE HOLDS THE FUTURE
AND LIFE IS WORTH THE LIVING JUST BECAUSE HE LIVES

Exodus was the Book of Redemption out of the hopeless darkness of Egypt.  I have been crossing the Jordan this week with Joshua, the Book of Redemption into the Land of Promises. As Moses knew his days on earth were over, he wrote a lo-o-ng farewell. One of my blog readers, once a "kid" named Steve Ray, a missionary for decades now in his 60's, calls my writings "ruminating". Like a cow, I am chewing my cud, thinking over the wonders of being delivered from Egypt, thinking on our many Red Seas when we walked through on dry land, the steady provision for all of our family's needs,  the blessings and disappointments that accompany efforts to help others leave their Egypts behind,  struggling to believe and obey what comes with being given "every spiritual blessing" (Ephesians 1:3). By now we have discovered that the real "Promised Land" is yet to be ours, as "death gives way to victory and we see the lights of glory".

God and Moses chose an ordinary man to lead the remnant of people that finally made it across the Jordan, only to discover that the milk and honey they anticipated was tinctured with blood as city by city had to be conquered.  This remnant had only been told  about  God's faithfulness by the adults who died on the journey that should have taken only eleven days, but lasted, and lasted for forty years because of their disobedience. ....blatant disobedience.  Wouldn't you think that if you had had direct conversations with God throughout Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy that you would speak to the Rock and not strike it? Thoughts like this are corrected as the Spirit gently reminds me that many of His promises go unclaimed in my Personal Promised Land.  ...or shall we call it our "Land of Promises"?

My Joshua's  (Ted's) war cry, again and again, was "Give me the walled cities!"  He fought fair, fortified by the Word of God while the little foxes that steal the grapes usually fought dirty.  During his long and last battle of his life, his trust in God's faithfulness never flagged  Never once did any of us hear a complaint against God.  Of course I miss my warrior husband who fought the good fight, knowing his enemies were not people, but principalities and powers in high places. That's the legacy he left us: Keep your armor on, pick your battles, fight clean, courageously, but with determination, assured that that little round pebble is in the hand of God who knows exactly where the soft spot is in the skull of your Goliaths.

Jo, will you never stop speaking about Ted's unflagging trust in God's faithfulness?  Nope. About 7 o'clock every day (The widow's witching hour) I think I cannot go on another lonely day without him, and I cry, and I probably always will.  ...BUT, My Abba has me involved with yet another teenager's prayer and Bible study group. I am experiencing the joy of seeing those He has let me disciple, disciple others, and I believe that's our Holy Assignment. We are called to be a "suit of working clothes the Spirit wears today"(another Ted'ism) in our earthly Land with Promises.

Love, Jo

ARCHIVE